Best toilet flange size

Users who are viewing this thread

dayster

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm installing a new Toto Nexus toilet into a new floor. I haven't installed the toilet flange yet, or the drain piping. I was planning to use a 4" flange and 4" pipe, but I see that there are 4" flanges and reducing 4" to 3" flanges.

I presume that a 4" flange and 4" drain to the stack is better than 3", and that the reducing flange is a potential clog-enhancer. Am I right? Or is there some benefit to a smaller diameter flange and drain?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The 3" is used more for spacing issues.(like in between 2x8 joists) Thats almost all the time. One doesn't clog more than the other. Your toilet outlet is probably about 2 1/4" - 2 3/4" in diameter, so unless you are on heavy doses or morphine ( which hardens the stools before exiting your body), it probably would be considered an over-kill to go with 4"

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

Regardless of the reasons why a 3" flange would work, I NEVER use anything other than a 3x4 closet bend with a 4" riser and a 4" flange over the outside of the pipe.

dayster

Reaction score
Regardless of the reasons why a 3" flange would work, I NEVER use anything other than a 3x4 closet bend with a 4" riser and a 4" flange over the outside of the pipe.

Since the Nexus uses a PVC trap adapter, it was easy to see how the two different flanges matched up against the toilet's trap outlet. Turns out the reducing flange's hole doesn't line up well with the trap outlet, and would have created a potential clog-inducing lip.

I'm going 4" all the way to the stack - I've got the room for the pipe, so may as well go big.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks