Best Submersible Pump?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Spade, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Spade

Spade New Member

My well is going on 20 years and I will soon be needing a submersible pump. They are expensive. Should I buy the Bronze Gould like I have now or go for one of the cheaper plastic models? Maybe the twenty year life of my current pump answers my question.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Only the part you can see is bronze. All the moving parts of a Goulds are plastic like many of the other brands. There are some brands that have Stainless Steel impellers but, they are so thin that I don't think they will last any longer than the plastic ones. The motor is a very important part, and I don't think you can get a Goulds pump with a Franklin motor any more.

I would look for a pump with a Franklin motor, like the one you have now. Check the prices at www.pumpsandtanks.com for a comparison. There is not enough difference in pumps to be paying more money for a particular name.

Even the brand name pump companies make a low grade version to sell at the box stores. You need a contractor grade pump, and there are a lot of brands that are as good as Goulds.
  3. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

I agree with valveman and stick with the Franklin motor. Apparently Gould started producing motors and had a major falling out with Franklin. My supplier ultimately switched to AY MacDonald pumps to continue receiving the Franklin motor.
  4. Leaky Boot

Leaky Boot New Member

Goulds

We can ship you a bronze top Goulds with Franklin motor. 1 hp will cost about $550 with shipping included. Will also include a free splice kit. Google our website "Howard Backhoe and Supply" Thanks! GH
  5. valveman

That sounds like a good price, on as good a quality pump and motor as can be had. However, it should be noted that the impellers in the Goulds pump are still plastic like most others, no matter if the top of the pump is bronze, Stainless Steel, or plastic.

http://howardbackhoeandsupply.blogspot.com/

I hope this is the correct link to Howards. If not, I hope Howard or "Leakyboot" will give us the correct link.
    Thanks
    Cary
  6. Leaky Boot

Leaky Boot New Member

Plastic---

Yep---plastic inside, like everything else. Only advantage to the metal top is you don't have to worry about cracking it when you screw something into it. Otherwise might as well be plastic too. Thanks, LB
  7. valveman

I agree the brass top is much better than the plastic. However, I have installed a lot of pumps with plastic tops. You just have to be a little more careful as you said. Did I get the right link for you?
  8. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

My 1hp 20 gallon per minute Betta Flo is $490.00 plus shipping. It also has a Franklin Motor and the suction and discharge end is Stainless as well as the motor. Be sure you get the right pump for your well, there are more than just one 1 hp pump.

bob...