Best solution for outdoor wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

TequilaMB

Reaction score
We have a GFI outlet on the outside of our house. About 25 feet from the house we have a patio area where my DH wants to put in some lighting, a small fountain, a birdbath heater and maybe a couple of bug zappers. What's the best and simplest solution for getting wiring from the outlet out to the devices in the patio area (without running extension cords over the lawn!)? I know about burying UF cable, but how what do you do at either end of the cable? DH has some electrical skills, but wiring for outdoors is something he has no experience with. I told him I'd do the research and find as safe and uncomplicated solution as possible.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One way is to put a weatherproof extension on the GFCI outlet, then run conduit out of the bottom of it to wherever he is putting the "things". There, he would come out of the ground with the conduit, and a double device cover and four receptacles mounted on it.

TequilaMB

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply hj, I wondered if anyone was going to respond.

I thought it was a no-no to bury an extension cord - even a weatherproof one. Am I wrong?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are correct. An extension cord, even a "waterproof" one is not designed for concealment ANYWHERE, even under a carpet. Part of its capacity depends on being able to shed heat to the air. Even "waterproof" electrical wires have to be in conduit, unless they are specifically rated for direct burial. And their increased cost reflects the way they have to be made to be rated for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks