Best shower/tub valve ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Mueller

Reaction score
I'm plumbing my new house and need a recommendation on the valves for the tub and shower. One that will last forever and be easy to repair should it break.

I know I won't make a mistake and plumb it backwards as I have already made a mistake this year. :)
But should some one sneak in and change the pipes on me, it would be nice if it had a cartridge that is reversible.

PS
I'd prefer the type you pull out and then rotate either left or right for temp.
(rather than the stick shift looking kind)

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Pull outs are passe. The old style Moen Chateau may still be available, but is not allowed by code in new construction or remodel situations. Almost all jurisdictions now require an upgrade to an anti-scald type. Most of those are not pull out. Actually, the one exception is stil the Moentrol. It uses the pull-out cartridge, and a separate spool valve. That is the only one I can think of .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want a volume control AND a temperature control, then you'll probably have to go with a thermostatically controlled valve. Depending on the trim, some have two knobs, or a knob and a lever, or two levers. All of the pressure balanced valves I've seen have no volume control. They may exist...

bathman007

bathroom remodeling contractor since 1984
Reaction score
Website
www.colvinbath.com
Moen Moentrol is a great pressure balance tub/shower valve that is failsafe as far as reversability goes. All you do is rotate the brass stem to reverse. You don't even need to turn the water off to the house. To turn the faucet on you pull out the handle and rotate left or right to adjust temperature. It also has a bunch of trim options available.

Greg Mueller

Reaction score
I wonder if they make an after market knob to replace the plastic ones? I like the pull to turn on valves, but my wife announced that she thinks the plastic knobs are cheesey.

Construct30

Reaction score
Delta and moen are tops, but I like the Delta for being simple and availabilty of parts in my area. Because Moen has the replacement part service no one in my area stocks their parts, a lot like American Standard toilet parts. If you can't find the parts list you can't get the parts.

Check in your area, in more than one supply house and hardware store and get the faucet you can buy parts for servicing. No faucet will last forever and most need servicing every couple of years or less depending on the water in your area.

Keep the literature in ten years you won't have a clue what faucet you have and you will be posting pics here so you can order parts. They will not have parts to service your obsolete faucet and you will have to special order them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks