Best pipe material for storm drain line buried near ground surface?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mlbruss

Reaction score
I need to install a 3" storm drain line, but it will have to be near the surface because the surface slope is shallow and not very long. Soil on top of pipe will be about 4". I can use corrugated or smooth poly drain line for most of it, but there will be a 10 ft section where a 2-3 ton tractor and a pick-up will be passing over it from time to time. This section will need something stronger. I'm hoping to avoid the expense of galvanized shd 40 or shd 80 PVC pipe. Any opinion on whether ABS solid, ABS foam core, PVC shd 40 pressure or PVC DWV pipe would survive? It won't be inspected, but I'd like avoid having to replace it anytime soon.

Thanks,

Mike

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
No plastic pipe at 4" depth will survive surface vehicle traffic. Try sch. 80 galv and hope for the best!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks