Best Irrigation System for Beds (Trees/Shrubs/Perennials)

Users who are viewing this thread

pmsmith2032

Reaction score
I am trying to plan a watering system for new beds I created last spring and am contemplating a number of different options. The beds have already been planted with small trees and shrubs (river birch, viburnum, dogwood, firs, junipers, hydrangeas, oaks, maples, redbuds etc) and I will be adding perennials this spring to fill in. The beds are rather large (see pictures below) and will be evolving over the next few years. I am wondering what irrigation method is best to keep them healthy. My options are:

1. Drip system (buried under mulch)using emitters placed in the root zone of each plant. This is the most efficient method and I like the fact that it reduces the likelihood of disease. However, I've read that emitters clog easily, and it's not easy to detect issues.

2. Drip system using microsprays/misters. This system isn't quite as efficent in water use and could cause more disease issues. However, since the microsprayers/misters are above ground, clogging issues are easier to detect. Issues with leaks at connections on the drip tubing could still be an issue,.

3. Regular sprinkler system (PVC piped) using spray heads. This system uses the most water and could create more disease issues. However, issues are easy to see and such a system seems less susceptible to leaking issues.

So, based upon my situation, and if money spent on installation wasn't an issue, which system would work best for me? Thanks in advance!

Backyard Plan.jpgFront Yard-Right Side 2.jpg20130118_110216.jpgLandscaping 1.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In many places, there are irrigation supply companies that will take your scale drawing and details about your water source and etc. and will design your system at no charge...providing you buy all of your supplies from them. An irrigation system requires more than just laying PVC pipe and hooking up sprinklers. Even if you had to pay a fee for the design, it would be well worth it. Once you get the plan, installation can be a DIY job.

pmsmith2032

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I actually had Rain Bird do a design but they just specified the drip tubing with holes every so many inches in their design. Not sure if that is the best option though.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe a second opinion would be wise. Thing is at least in my opinion, you are looking at something that will not only water your yard, but that will last for many years. (Mine is starting its 29th season) You want it to be economical to operate, easy to repair when necessary, and that will meet local and federal requirements. A drip system might very well be the best route to go, but perhaps a combination of sprinklers would be in order. Rain Bird is a respected name in irrigation, but they are not the only ones to consider. Hunter and Toro come to mind although I doubt if they would be vastly different in their recommendations. I think you have a pretty good start with your drawings and photos.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They make PVC tubes with a pointed end that you drive into the ground around the trees, then place a drip tube into them so the water reaches the roots.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks