Best flux for 95/5 solder in air compressor application

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mike F, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Mike F

Mike F New Member

Now that I have decided to solder 3/4" copper lines for my air compressor, I am seeking advice on the most appropriate flux. I will be using 95/5 solder and was wondering if the choice of flux is that important. I have Oatey #5 flux and Oatey #95 tinning flux lying around. Is there any real difference?
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Personaly, I like the #95 tinning flux. When I switched to it my leak rate dropped to about 1 every 3 years. I can't even remember the last one.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flux

As a practical matter it does not really matter as far as the final project is concerned. Some, such as the tinning fluxes, will work easier, but it will not affect the integrity of the compressed air lines.