Best DYI Water Heater

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by ChetS, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ChetS

ChetS New Member

I have a friend that is a contractor and will pick up a BW or Rheem for me at a plumbing suppy house. I don't want to have to bother him to purchase parts in the future. What is the best water heater I can purchase on my own and be able to get the parts for them in the future?

Thanks

Chet
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

For an electrice water heater, elements and thermostats are pretty generic. For gas water heater, most of the parts are proprietary, but you should not expect to have to replace any parts. Most gas water heaters run until they leak, no service or parts ever done!
  3. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

I would go with a Bradford White but only because of personal preference. I just like their products.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

With either one, or any others for that matter, it is a coin toss whether you get one that lasts a day, or 5 years 11 1/2 months, 6 years and a day, or 18 years. And there is no way to tell which it will be until it happens.