Best Drill Bit for Electrical Wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Lakee911, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

What's the best type of drill bit for drilling through 2x material to pull electrical wire? Forstener? Spade? Auger? Twist? I've got lots of holes to drill and I'm tired of fooling with the spade bits which on a right angle drill always seem to bind. :(

Thanks,
    Jason
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

None of the above...I can't remember the name, but try one with the screw point lead-in. Sort of like a twist drill with a wood screw on the front, it also has some of the features of a Forstner bit. It is designed to cut fast and is self-feeding because of the screw. Interesting to see what others have to say...
  3. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Just about every sparky i know, uses auger bits - I'm pretty sure that's what you're describing, Jadnashua?

Attached Files:

4. jadnashua

Yep, that's it. Just don't hit a nail or screw with one. WHen they're sharp, they slice through really fast. Hit a nail, and it doesn't work well trying to tear the fibers at all.
  5. rdtompki

rdtompki New Member

Some brands of self-feeding augers sold by electrical supply houses have nail-cutting capability. I'm not an electrician, but I've done a lot of rework. When you're drilling through a plate you can't always tell whether there is a nail in the way.

Rick
  6. 480sparky

480sparky In the Trades

They're also called ship-auger bits.

And you can get some that will go through nails with no problems.
  7. statjunk

statjunk DIY Senior Member

That's what I use too. Mine are getting old. Anyone know of a place to get them sharpened?

Thanks

Tom
  8. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

I use a Dremel tool with a small round-tip conical stone to sharpen mine.
  9. statjunk

Bob,

For better or worse, I'm a generation X. I generally avoid sharpening things and rely on tools or professionals to do the sharpening. I'll have to find someone locally to sharpen them. I figured you'd need a special machine to sharpen those.

I have two cases full of those things some that are pretty long. They are extremely useful.

Thanks for the tip.

Tom
  10. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I'll try to get a hold of some/one!

Thanks for the advice!

Jason
  11. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

I have about 20 of those in assorted sizes and lengths. I sharpen all of them myself. They come out as good as new. You just have to know how to sharpen them.
    I use a 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. NEVER sharpen the top. Always the cutting edge down into the throat.
  12. OscarG

OscarG New Member

I picked up a set of Irwin Speedbor Max bits at BigBlueBox Store last summer to do a project. They are great! Three cutting edges, short enough so even w/o right angle drill I could go streight through joist on 16" center using battery power dirll.
    [​IMG]

Check this link for Irwin Information
  13. 480sparky

480sparky In the Trades

Ask at a woodworking store.. they know people who sharpen saw blades, they can usually do these too.
  14. statjunk

Thanks for the tip Sparky. Will do.

Tom
  15. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

No matter which bit that is choosen the proper driver for that bit is important.

See the proper drive force by clicking here
  16. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drill bit

I sharpen mine with a file. Just takes a few strokes to get a good edge.
  17. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

I have one of those.

Also have a breast drill, which is not used for lumpectomys.
  18. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

I bought one of those (1-1/4") a few weeks ago, and it was so aggressive that my regular 3/8" drill could not keep it spinning until after I had drilled a pilot hole for the lead screw. From that point on, it was great until I hit a screw!
  19. jadnashua

It would be a rare 3/8" drill that was rated to cut a 1-1/4" hole. Those bits are aggressive and will require a lot of power.
  20. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

This drill motor can usually handle just anything I can get in the chuck, but yes, this latest drill is a bit too much unless I use a pilot hole to wing it a bit!