Best Drain Choice for a Solid Stone Shower Base (Made in Indonesia)

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Waterproof product , let's call it a sealer , is done on top -- water test is needed -- .

I guess you found an every 6 months job for the life span of the shower . :rolleyes:

Interesting conversation for sure ........ I would say you are a hack ......... all this time you sold ( sell ) bellow -- instead of surface -- waterproofing products :D LOL

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
If i were pricing/quoting this job..... The fear factor would be the chance of breaking that beast!!!! (And my back)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I'm getting help humping this shower pan up the stairs by the client and his father in law. Plan is to lay the shower pan on a 2"x4" and have two guys on the back side and one up front. Of course it needs to go up some stairs.

The fact that the waterproofing might be a six month option makes me glad I'm taking measures from below.

I picked up a no chaulk drain yesterday from Rona - $8.99 LOL Made in China Class baby class.

I think I'll show my clients the web site from Designer Drains for a Grill "DO OVER"

http://www.designerdrains.com

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Installed the no chaulk drain yesterday with some chaulk! LOL Threw away the rubber washer and used some Kerdi Fix instead.

Time to go and coat the back side with more Ardex 8+9.....

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Best Drain Choice for a Solid Stone Shower Base

In the end I bought four no-chaulk shower drains for this stone base installation. I choose one of the four not because the grate looks nice because it does not. In fact the grate is the worst of the four options....

I installed this drain because of four reasons. One of which you can see in this photo.

IMG_1676.jpg

You can see one reason well. One reason partially and the other two if I rotated the strainer holder 180 degrees...

Do you know why I choose this drain?

IMG_1675.jpg

This is the drain taken apart. From left to right we have;

• Base Drain - ties into homes 2" shower plumbing line.
  • Rubber gasket - I threw this away
  • Strainer Holder - this has the key elements I was looking for
  • Strainer - this is going to be replaced with something shinny

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Drain is in - good to go.

Shower walls are waterproofed.

Shower base is waterproofed and lapped over drain.

This was a different build. Not sure I loved the challenge but it's in and getting some tile loving today or tomorrow.

I decided to build a wider curb and top the shower base with white tile. I hope it turn out ok.

Left some ISO board inside the shower tray as protection.....

Protecting%2Byour%2Bshower's%2Bstone%2Bbase.jpg

And no I'm not using Ditra again. That was nearly the last of the roll I had on hand before I made the choice to dump Schluter as a supplier. I have enough left for a tiny powder room maybe.

one%2Bthird%2Brunning%2Bbond%2Btile%2Blayout%2Bvancouver.jpg

Tile Layout: One third running bond. Shower curb face (Hob Face - Dam Face) will run off the bottom of the drywall J bead.

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
that is one unfortunate vent location !!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess they put all their $ into the indonesian base!!!!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Not the best location for the floor vent, but the fixed glass will be over that area. I'm thinking a extra long bar as a towel rack. Then the floor vent will act as a towel warmer!

lol

Can you see it? I think it will work. Counter do you see how I built the shower curb out? Grew it by a couple of inches so I can later install a framless glass fixed panel and glass door.

Door screwed to the right wall.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks