Best Deck Screws

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Anyone have any good recommendations on 2-1/2" to 3" coated deck screws? I need approximately 1000 of them, and would rather not spend an arm and a leg. I originally planned on nailing the boards, but thought that it would be much better in the long run to screw them. This is in OH, BTW.

I've used the PhillipsII/Deckmate screws in the past with good luck, but I've heard some bad things about them breaking.

What's everyone else use?

Thx
Jason

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Coated deck screws are a good alternative to stainless steel. But screws made in CHina, Thailand, Korea, Taiwan, etc are made from inferior steel, probably are fudged on the proper thickness, and do have some tendency to snap if over torqued.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Actually, I find the deckmates tougher than most - for the same length, they tend to be one size up in circumference.

You could also go spiral-shank nails, if you've got a framing gun & compressor, it saves on time. If you're hand-banging them, though, stick with the screws, your elbow & wrist will thank you.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are screws available with Torx heads, some with square drives, and some that use a #3 Phillips. All are better than the standard #2 Phillips.

Lakee911

Reaction score
I have a paslode 30 degree cordless nailer. I think that the only fastener that I can use is a galvanized ring shank nail (or a smooth one). I don't think that they have a spiral shank available. :(

I really wanted to use the nailer, but it's probably best if I didn't. Between the joist hangers and the deck board screwing, I'm in for a lot of manual labor...not much for my nailer. :(

Jason

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Forget the phillips head and get either the box bit screws or the torx. They cost a little more but the difference is night and day.

One year I was building two elevated platforms in the woods. I started out with the phillips. When they ran out I switched over to box bit screws and the difference was amazing. Much faster and smoother.

Tom

Lakee911

Reaction score
I've used the square drive bits before. They're pretty nice. Do you have a name brand that you recommend?

Jason

Prashster

Reaction score
I've had no problems with Deckmate screws (besides the color ;)). They drive smoothly; I've never had one snap even driving them unpiloted through pt 2x with an impact driver.

If you want the best, I'd get McFeely's stainless steel.

CharlieW

Reaction score
Although it turns out to be more work, nails are proven to be a stronger fastener. If you do the screws, squares the best, especially with a little soap on the end.

Lakee911

Reaction score
How do you figure its better, Charlie? I always thought that nails were less work anyways....nail guns in all. Nails have little tension strength and more shear strength and the opposite for screws, no?

I see those McNeely's fasteners are associated with Festool...they must be good! I'll look in to them. Thanks

Jason

Last edited:

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
For a deck where things need to be held down I find it hard to believe that a nail would out perform a screw.

I use whatever box bit screw HD carries.

Tom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
deck

Why not use the "screwless" fasteners that use clips on the underside of the boards. They prevent warping and have a much "cleaner" appearance than screws.

Prashster

Reaction score
IMHO, screws are better when used vertically (like in ceilings or decks). The teeth give way more "pull-out" strength than nails.

Nails are arguably better when used horizontally (like in walls or framing) because when force is applied laterally, they'll bend instead of snapping like screws.

If it were my deck, I'd use screws. Skip the soap. Use an impact driver.

The hidden fasteners like HJ suggests are nice too, but be prepared to pay in terms of price and time for these.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I agree that 'robertson' head screws aare the best...
I use them almost exclusively in wood if I am able...

Molo

Reaction score
What about the concern with the new pressure treated lumber eating screw that get damp. I've heard some horror stories aboiut conventional hot-dipped screws rotting in a few years. Especially when exposed to moisture. This is why many are going with stainless steel, or finding other methods. It's something to consider.

Molo

BigLou

Reaction score
Jason,
deckmates are a fine screw to use. I think they may even be made right here in the USA.

Molo.

I am seeing a lot of new micro treated boards which are supposed to be far less corrosive then ACQ

Lou

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I used a very similar product to do a deck a few years back and the appearance is beautiful and the install is easy.

Do a word search for Tiger Claw deck fasteners.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks