best box or pipe to suround water line valve at house?

Users who are viewing this thread

Edwardh1

Reaction score
My mom has a 1958 home and the supply water line comes from the water company box at the street under the ground straight to the house where under the dirt there is a shutoff valve at the foundation , and right above where it enters the house is a water spigot.

Same situation at my house, but my water valve under the dirt is in a vertical cement pipe that allows access to the shut off valve.
Moms is hard to get to as its under dirt. she lives alone.
I have a water meter tool in her garage for the street valve but I dont think her neighbors would or could use it if she had an urgent need to shut off the water, last time I dug around her inlet valve at the house the valve wheel/handle was 1/2 rusted away/

question 1- whats the standard kind of pipe to put around the in the ground around the shut off valve at the house ? large PVC to allow access to the valve with vice grip for example?

2. will "exposing" the valve in a box or pipe cause it to rust more? its a 3/4 inch copper line and an inline copper valve

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks