Best bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparks98

Electrician
Reaction score
I am remodeling entire bathroom, actually moving it to back room. This is a rental property and I would like to know what is the best choice of tub type. I was going to go with enameled steel, but I notice that many people are against it. I can't understand why. Fiberglass gets too dirty too fast and since it is a rental, I'd like something that is durable and cleans easy. Please help. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The enameled steel's finish cracks/chips easily if something is dropped in it, like a shampoo bottle. Then, it rusts. The primary reason for that is that the tub is fairly thin. Cast iron is much more durable since it is much thicker, the finish is supported (now, you can chip it, too, but it is alot harder). The reason the fiberglass tubs start to look nasty fairly quickly is that most people don't set them in cement topping mix, mortar, or plaster. If that is done, then they don't flex, and can remain looking good for longer (not as long as a good cast iron, though by any means).

LT1GMC

Electrician
Reaction score
I thought about an enameled steel tub also, untill I started looking at them at Home Depot and Lowes and noticed just how chipped up the edges were on the ones on display. Figured if they were that easy to damage just putting up on display, then getting one to my upstairs bath was going to be risky.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks