Best American Standard 12" Toilet for 11" Rough In

Users who are viewing this thread

Mattinwc79

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to this thread and a first time home buyer. We're redoing our bathroom and found that our rough-in will be about 11.0" - 11.25" from our finished wall (we'll have tile on the wall). Our contractor is telling us that we'd need to find a 10" toilet or a 12" toilet that will fit the space. I'm hoping someone has a recommendation for a good 12" rough in toilet, ideally concealed/skirted (so the pipes at the base aren't visible) that might fit this space. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

I'm considering this toilet and hoping there might be some 'give':

Cadet 3 Flowise right height, round front concealed trapway, 1.28 GPF

cadet-3-flowise-01.jpg

Thank you!
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a Vespin II or other Unifit Toto. I was thinking that the shoe molding clearance might be a little more for Vespin II than for Soiree. I don't know if you have baseboard or shoe molding.

I had a rough in of over 13 inches, and made my own holes in a 12 inch Unifit. With your numbers, you might not have to modify the Unifit. Just take advantages of the clearances in the holes.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....rance-with-14-unifit-and-offset-flange.66596/ shows how I made my own holes, and illustrates why that should be OK.

I am not saying that toilet you are considering would have any problem fitting. The Unifit does give you the chance to tune the location if it does not fit initially for some reason.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Somewhere along the way I started roughing in toilet flanges at 11 1/2 inches off the bare studs. This would allow the tank to ultimately rest against the sheetrock. I thought it would be a good proactive measure against future damage in case there were to be teenage boys in the house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Each toilet will have a nominal gap between the back of the tank and the wall. On most of the Toto toilets that use the UniFit adapter (skirted toilets), that gap is 3/4". If your tank literally sits against the wall, if it is used frequently when the humidity is elevated, it will sweat, and having no air gap will likely end up with mildew on the wall...not a great situation! You can usually fudge the location of the toilet on the flange 1/4-3/8" or so...sometimes, a bit more.

Some 12" RI toilets might have as much as 1.5" gap to the wall, so 11" won't be an issue. You really need to read the spec sheet of the model to see if it will work for your situation.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have two Toto toilets, one is a Dartmouth and the other a Drake. Each of the flanges are exactly 12" from the finished walls. There is about 2" space between the cover on each of the toilets to their respective walls. The exact distance from the cistern to the wall will vary slightly from model to model even within the same manufacturer, but all will have a bit of space. You should have no problem fitting a 12" toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Because of production variations, if you read the spec sheets, the dimensions are listed as nominal. IOW, they can vary a little bit. It really depends on the model of the toilet how much design gap there is behind it to the wall. FWIW, with the type of clay and production process Toto uses, their toilets have much less variation than many other brands, but there will always be a slight variation. This is one reason why they can marry up say a tank made in Japan with a bowl made in the USA and have them actually fit together...their production process is quite well managed. I would not try that with any other brand's toilets!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks