Beneath slab drain problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Pkin

Reaction score
Thanks anyone for their input on this project.

In another post I described how I got the point shown in the pic. Basically, I found some corrosion at a shower drain, then followed it back (with the jackhammer) to this area where I found holes in the bottom of the 2" lines left of the toilet connection. Its all under the slab. I now have a 4' x 3' hole in the concrete, about 3' deep so I can access this plumbing. I'm planning to replace everything left of the toilet line due to corrosion. This is in the finished basement of my home and my wife is ready to kill ...

I'm not sure if I should create a new post for each issue that I encounter along the way. That's what I've been doing so far, but I'm going to try to keep it in one post as I go along. Let me know if I should separate the posts...

First problem:

I was originally planning to move a shower drain. But now that I've exposed all the plumbing I'm considering another design option of moving the toilet to the opposite side of the room, about 10' away. I can't use the existing double wye connection for the relocated toilet because there isn't enough elevation, particularly if I add a vent near the new toilet position. I can't replace the existing double wye fitting because it will cause too much disruption in the neighboring bath. So I would like to cap this fitting, and tie the relocated toilet drain in at a different location.

Is capping off one side of the double wye going to cause problems?

cap toilet discussion.jpg

Pkin

Reaction score
The attached diagrams show the existing design, and the proposed new design with relocated toilet.

Any comments please?

existing layout.jpgNew Layout.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The DBL Y for the tub and shower makes both traps a full S which is not allowed.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks