Beginner Laundry Pump Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Adawg

Reaction score
Hello - I apologize for what I am sure is going to be a stupid question. I have a Shellback undersink Laundry pump in my laundry room. I've had them in a few houses I've owned. I've found that they are really cheapening them, and their lifespan is very short these days. I'm already fighting a pump that is about 4 years old.

I want to switch to the Zoeller with an undersink tank then pups out. The problem I have is that the Shellback discharges into a 3/4" line where the Zoeller is a 1.5" discharge. Where it discharges into the sewer line is a mess, and changing things over to 1.5" would require me to do a ton of PVC reworking. Is it possible to reduce down the 1.5" to 3/4" before it gets to the sewer line? Would it kill the pump?

Looking to find a solution without too much plumbing rework needed.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this pump thing, but there is a basic rule in plumbing that I think will apply here. That rule is you can never reduce a drain line.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You cannot go from 1.5 " to 1" on the discharge.But you can go from 1" to 1.5".

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would just re-pipe if possible but if not.
You might be able to do it if you come up out of the pump tank with the 1.5 inch pipe. Then tee off with ¾ inch. Then do a u-turn with the 1.5 inch pipe and add a gate valve if needed with the 1.5 inch pipe going back into the pump tank. Most of the flow would recirculate and might make a lot of noise depending on how it is set up. I have seen similar set ups with large systems but not with an under sink pump and not with a ¾ inch discharge.
To avoid cutting out a bunch of your PVC you may be able to use a 1.5 inch saddle tee of some sort.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/saddle.html

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00060300...gence&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=******

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks