Before Scrapping parts of 1940 American Standard..input?

Users who are viewing this thread

RyanD

Reaction score
Hello All,

Below are a few shots of an American Standard oil burner for a gravity feed radiator system. As we clean out the basement I finally paid attention to the sheet metal stacked between the wall and the furnace. I had thought it was part of the system, but it doesn't appear to be.

The furnace, minus the "extra" sheet metal covers, already has sheet metal covers for the boiler. What is throwing me off is it is the same general vintage, color, and manufacturer.

So, before I chuck this stuff, is there something I'm missing? Thanks.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 857

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It looks like the extended jacket for the boiler. It's used as a cover for the entire front of the boiler including the burner.

RyanD

Reaction score
It looks like the extended jacket for the boiler. It's used as a cover for the entire front of the boiler including the burner.

Brilliant John! Thank you. I just did a rough fit and backs up what you're saying. This is just a space killer, so unless there is a reason beyond asthetics, I'll be getting rid of it.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 669
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 534

Sandra Gray-Rohan

Reaction score
Hello All,

Below are a few shots of an American Standard oil burner for a gravity feed radiator system. As we clean out the basement I finally paid attention to the sheet metal stacked between the wall and the furnace. I had thought it was part of the system, but it doesn't appear to be.

The furnace, minus the "extra" sheet metal covers, already has sheet metal covers for the boiler. What is throwing me off is it is the same general vintage, color, and manufacturer.

So, before I chuck this stuff, is there something I'm missing? Thanks.

View attachment 25697 View attachment 25698

RyanD

Reaction score
Hi Sandra, hj is correct. The burner is just a later retrofit. I can' think of a reason you couldn't put any burner in there, rather than the original one. Maybe someone else can comment?? Sorry I can't be of more help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks