Bedding drain line above surrounding grade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Let me start by thanking those who have helped me on this project thus far.

I ran into a problem today and am unsure how to proceed.

I am running a branch drain for a basement shower and was surprised to find that my house has clay drain tiles not only on the inside of the footing, but also running around under the slab.

The top of the drain tile is about 5" below the slab and I am going to need to route the branch drain over the top of it. I can properly pitch the run, but need to raise the grade for the length of the run (8 feet) about 4" to bring it over the drain tile. (Going under the drain tile will not allow proper pitch or connection to the main line).

I'm working in an 8" wide trench cut in the slab and have 4-5" of loose stone over a clay base.

Knowing that water flows under my slab in the spring, I am wondering how best to create a solid raised bedding for this drain pipe without risk to the drain tile? I'm starting to think about cement, but really don't want to go there.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I would not use cement, I would bed it around the drain tile with stone or gravel.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks shacko. I'm feeling better about that. My anxiety level goes up dramatically with every unexpected surprise. :eek:

I will have to bring in some crushed stone, as the round stone under my slab is not suitable for compaction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks