Becoming a plumber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
I enjoy my job. But it's in a small field that isn't the most stable. If I were to lose it, I would have a tough time ever getting back up to my current income level without 4 years of schooling. I'd also have a tough time finding the same job elsewhere.

Seems to me that becoming a plumber would work out better. I would start making at least a little money in my first year of apprenticeship, and it would go up from there. Eventually I'd make more than I do now, I think. If I went back to college instead, I'd have no income for 4 years.

So, how does it work?

Is it like this:
Schooling
4 yrs apprentice
Then you can be a certified plumber?

And how does the apprentice time work? Am I always side by side with someone else? Do I work on my own on my 3rd or 4th years and someone just checks it out?

I don't think I'd have a problem with the job. Sounds like it can be hard on the body, thankless, and dirty. I've also read on here that the first 6 months to a year are like boot camp/hell. But it also sounds like working hours are pretty flexible if I go off on my own when I'm done with the training.

What kind of money can I expect to make? If I work for someone else, I get paid hourly? If I work on my own, how much of my fee can I expect to take home? I know this stuff varies by region, but is there a way to find out more?
How do I find out if my area is hurting or swamped with plumbers?

Pros and cons to being a plumber?
Any help is appreciated. If the money is what I think it is, I'll stay at my current job, but have the knowledge that I could get into plumbing should I lose my current job. If it's better, I may consider quitting now and going to school.

Thanks!
-Nate

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Call around to different plumbing companys and ask what the starting rate would be for someone who knows nothing but is eager to learn the plumbing trade. Then you can decide if you can afford to learn the plumbing trade and at the same time you will determine if this kind of job is right for you.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
It's a great profession but takes a toll on your body.

I'm off work today due to a torn rotator cuff from tightening dielectrics years ago on a regular basis.

Not having the ability to stop when something hurts when you work for others either driven by needing a job or a family to support is a tough call to make when it happens.

Some injuries are career ending in the profession of plumbing. Do your best to protect yourself from them....otherwise it is a life sentence to contend with.

Apprenticeships/continuing educationg/acquiring numerous credentials will appeal to any employer that you are willing to learn and be competent in the profession.

Boot camp in plumbing can last for years in some cases so it sometimes means you have to "change turfs" to go the direction you want.

I call them stepping stones to the final resting spot. It really sucks to be resting today.......I'd rather be plumbing.:cool:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I belong to the UA - Local 469 - Phoenix...
Contact your local to find out about their program...
http://www.wipipetrades.org/
That is the Wisconsin pipe trades website for the United Association...
The find employment for you and train you...
Program is 5 years and the benefits are pretty good...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumber

In most cases, you cannot "go out on your own" when you leave your apprenticeship. You either have to become a contractor, or work more years to become a "Master plumber" in order to be a contractor, depending on your area's requirements. Also, in most cases you cannot just go into the union hall and sign up as an apprentice and then start working. Even if they sign you up, you still have to wait until a company asks for an apprentice. When you join the union, you can no longer call companies and ask for a job, unless you want the union to sanction you. Maybe especially in UA 469.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Plumbing as a trade is extremely varied. I learned it all on my own, my mom signed a letter stating my experiences working on her rental houses and in my dad's septic tank business. That took care of my apprenticeship. I took the certification exam and only missed one question. I held that card for two years then took virtually the same exam to get my masters... then I was legal to go into business for myself. I had alot of maintenance/repair experience and was fortunate to drag my son along with me. His Christmas present one year was his apprentice card. He got his journeyman's card then almost immediately was called and offered a job with a temp agency. I just happened to answer the phone and was very slow at the time so we both went to work thru them for one contractor for 4 weeks then another for 2 weeks then we were out of a job until another contractor needed us. My son never had a decent paying job before in his life and walked in the door at $13/hour. I was paid $19/hour. We both took the job because we wanted the commercial and new construction experience and were falsley promised 48-50 hours a week. It was a bait and switch sales tactic by the employment agency but it didn't matter a whole lot as I only needed an income for a short time while I prepared to move to where I live now. My son didn't want to move with me so after a few phone calls and applications he hired on with a nation repair company doing ALOT of drain cleaning. He has to have his own vehicle and tools and is on a commission. He makes really good money and stays alot busier than I do with my own business....but when I work I make about 3 times what he does....and I've got at least 3 times the overhead expenses. I generally run $300-$500 per day but have done bidded jobs and cleared $1500 for a job that took me 12 hours..5:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. hot and sweaty and working as hard and fast as I could go. General plumbing can cover anything in residental. You have to have certain types of licenses to do certain things. Pipe fitters generally can do water, sewer, and gas. Without the pipefitters license you can not legally do gas or freon. To work on medical gases you have to be certified specifically for that. In commercial work you may be handling huge pipes that require cranes to move them around and have totally different methods of putting the pipes together. Before I got my master's I was in a chat room with a journeyman in NYC. He told me that he was making something like $42.30/hour and all he did was supervised a bunch of apprentices on a commercial job. So basically, plumbing pays anywhere from decent to exceptionally well. Depending on where you're at you might start out $10-13 per hour for a couple of years then step up to $14-20 then get a little raise after that. In some big cities and on certain jobs you may be paid 2 to 5 times that amount depending on all kinds of things. You might work near home one day then be out of town for months if you hook up with a major construction business. I know one guy who does nothing except lay ceramic tile and is sitting in Iraq right now on a government contract and has no idea when he's coming home...but he will be loaded with bucks when he gets here....if a sniper doesn't get him first. My prayers are with him.

Cookie

Reaction score
I know a guy who is in Iraq right now, this is his second stint, as a truck driver. He is making 100,000 a year. But, like you said, he lays literally, his life on the line. Something, I would not personally do. Should mention too, it is tax free dollars.

* Bet you guys, thought I was going to give some advice on being a plumber, eh? ha ha ha.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks