bearing length of joist on wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Zenman

Reaction score
I am looking for the minimum bearing length for a 2x10 joist sitting on a load bearing wall. In order for me to fit the plumbing and have no flat venting, it looks like I need to cut a joist back. In the current plan, there is a 3" Tee on a 45 to allow for the toilet to connect to the rest of the DWV. (I posted this a while back Tee on a 45?) Additionally it looks like I will have to build out the wall a little with a 2x3. But my main question is... is 1.5 inches enough bearing for a 2x10 joist?

Thanks!

Attachments

• plumbing.JPG
    plumbing.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,453

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joist

I am a bit puzzled. Are you saying your vent is exactly at the point where a joist is sitting on the rim plate and you cannot move the vent? That does not seem logical. Or, if that opening on the side is the vent, then we would have to know more about what you are doing because that should not be where a vent attaches.

Zenman

Reaction score
I think I got it!

Sorry I didn't explain the situation adequately. The 'T' 3" toilet inlet is where the joist interference is. I'll attach a picture showing what I am trying to avoid. Not shown is the brick chimney and box framing double 2x10s around it. Also there is a header on the first floor that I can't cut either.

The good news is that I found (in a code check book) that the bearing of a joist on a wood plate can be 1.5 inches (joist bearing on concrete is 3.0) However instead of a straight cut I will probably just cut a semicircle on the end of the joist and make sure to leave at least 1.5 inches bearing the top plate.

Attachments

• bathplumbingflatvent.JPG
    bathplumbingflatvent.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,433
  • joist and vent.JPG
    joist and vent.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,451
Last edited:

Zenman

Reaction score
top view pic

FYI - Here is a top view of the plan which may help explain my original dilemma.

Attachments

• plumbing top view.JPG
    plumbing top view.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 1,358

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

From your drawing, but hampered by not seeing the entire situation, I can think of several ways I might be able to do it that would be immensely better than that.

Zenman

Reaction score
I appreciate you taking the time to look over the drawings. But the 3 inch line is now complete with minimal cutting of the end of the joist. I realize without seeing the entire situation it is extremely difficult see all the obstacles and other limitations of this project. (Headers below on 2 sides of the toilet and a masonry chimney on the 3rd side, and it all had to come down the back side of a closet wall...) But I'm extremely pleased on how this has worked out so far... I'm sure I will have some more questions on the rest of the layout - branch sizes for example. I will start a new thread for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks