Beam support next to foundation

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by firepilot, Jan 25, 2014.

1. firepilot

firepilot New Member

Hey all,

Installing a beam today and the dang building dept is closed today. Hope I can get some direction.

We have the support for the beam in the basement all ready to go. So I will have support from the Concrete basement floor all the way up through the beam and then a knee wall in the attic to the roof.

On the other end of the wall the beam will be on a double joist. It will sit 6"out from where the joist leaves the foundation wall. Directly under the point load is dirt. I believe I still need to support the load even though it is so close to the foundation wall.

if it needs support can I place a post on top of a concrete pier block to support this or is it ok as it is?

The bottom of the joist is 16 inches above the dirt. The dirt is interior to the foundation and dry.

I am using 2x6 lumber doubled up and cut to the same width as the beam which is 5 1/8 wide. for the beam support in the room itself.

Like to keep moving ahead as I have weekends to work on this right now. Also muscle is available to help.

Thanks for any opinions or advice.

Phil
  2. dhagin

dhagin builder:anti-builder

Post a sketch showing what you have and what you propose. Show dimensions as necessary. :)
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

A basement floor or slab should not be considered load bearing. Support posts require a footing, and any footing will be below the frost line specified for the location.
  4. dhagin

I'll agree with this generally, however, a slab *may* be adequate for some imposed loads depending on how the slab is constructed and how much load you're imposing.

Still need lots more info on this case. :)
  5. firepilot

firepilot New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't figure out how to make a sketch and post it. I did figure out how to draw it out and take it to the lumber yard and bases on our local codes got me dialed in.

The floor of the basement in our area is way below the frost line. The idea to put the post on a pier block to spread the load was the suggestion of the building inspector.

We have it all done and with about 5 guys got the beam up and it looks great. Just need to tidy things up and remove the temporary wall.

Have a good one.

Phil
  6. dhagin

Glad it worked out. :)