Be Wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Why did those electric chairs for the guys that did not follow the NEC require so much juice if that is true? Was it bad engineering?

And my off topic belly button comment was for fun too, but I cringe when I see a "smily Face"

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
In the early years of the chair a voltage between 1,700 and 2,400 volts at 7.5 amps was sent through the body for about 10 seconds followed by a voltage of 240 volts at 1.5 amps for between 20 and 30 seconds. In a lot of cases the person being executed would be cooked and charred past recognition. Eye witnesses have attested to hearing a loud and sustained sound like bacon frying, and the sickly sweet smell of burning flesh. The body is to hot to touch after the execution has been completed. The purpose of this high voltage and amperage was to insure that the heart and respiratory system shut down completely and the lower voltage and time was to ensure that the person’s heart didn’t start back.

This has nothing at all to do with a shock that someone working on their homes electrical system would receive. The chair was intended to humanely execute a criminal not to maim or kill someone trying to save a couple of dollars doing something for their self. The comparison between the two would be like comparing apples to oranges.

For more information as to the dangers arising from working on a live electrical circuit visit this site.
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/con...cidents/eleccurrent.html#death is most likely

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks