Be careful when you cut roots

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by JeffL, Nov 15, 2009.

1. JeffL

JeffL New Member

I need to rant :mad:
    The 3rd fitting just blew out in the pvc hose bib supply line that I installed 15 years or more ago. I guess I could take a chance on good USA made fittings, but since I'd have to essentially replace to entire line anyway to replace all those "big box store" fittings, I'm going with copper. I've already opened the trench.
    End of rant.

Be careful cutting roots. I had one pesky root that was in my way. It was a real tough little sucker. When I finally was able to cut through it, I discovered that it was really a power line for my low voltage lighing. :eek:

[​IMG]
  2. Inspektor Ludwig

Inspektor Ludwig Journeyman/Inspector

You have PVC for a water supply in your house? Or CPVC?
  3. Cookie

Cookie .

YIKES. You okay?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

wire

Low Voltage, of course she is okay, and it was probably in the daytime when the lights were off anyway. I tell my excavators NOT to cut any root until we check it out to see if it is really wood. Many times I have started to tell someone, "Do not chop that.......", just before they do it. If it is a gas line it becomes exciting. If it is a water line, it becomes muddy. If it is an electric line, sometimes part of the shovel vaporizes in a big spark, or there is a big notch in the end of it.
  5. Cookie

Cookie .

Yikes, Jeff is a she, ;)
  6. JeffL

JeffL New Member

I hope that was a typo :confused::)

Yeah, it was low voltage and turned off.

My house was galvanized, but re-plumbed with copper.