BB2nite

Users who are viewing this thread

BB2nite

Reaction score
BB2nite Odd flush valve

Brand new to the Forum, not so new to do-it-yourself plumbing. I am trying to repair a leaky flush valve in a one-piece toilet belonging to my 86-year old cousin. Phantom flushes are driving her nuts. But I have never encountered a flush valve like it....it seems to ride up and down within a sort of "cannister", perhaps six inches tall. I can't get it out, can't figure for the life of me just how to access the business end of it. And, I can't determine the brand of toilet....it seems upscale, in a fifty year old house. I would so much appreciate any much needed help.

Bill Branner

Last edited:

BB2nite

Reaction score
If your in doubt as to which to use you can always use a "Fluidmaster" fill valve.
The fill valve is not all that important, as long as it fill the water to 1/2" under the flush tube your fine.

http://http://www.fluidmaster.com/fill_products_400a.html

I don't understand, pardon my ignorance perhaps. Nothing wrong with the fill valve....just the flush valve leaking. Very slowly. Just can't figure how to get to it, since it is a drop-type, but rides up and down within a metal cylinder, about 4 inches in diameter. Can pull it up, but only so far, then it stops.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Understand it is the flush valve...not the fill; but your description is not ringing a bell with me. Could you post a picture?

BB2nite

Reaction score
Understand it is the flush valve...not the fill; but your description is not ringing a bell with me. Could you post a picture?

Thanks for responding. I will try to get back over to her house this evening and take the photo I should have taken in the first place. (Can't figure what the cannister...or cylinder...is for unless it is simply a guide for the drop-type valve. And this tank does not have an overflow/refill tube....it has a small triangle built in...porcelain...as a permanent part of the tank. Its top edge is I suppose at the level of where an overflow,refill tube would normally be. The refill plastic tube from the fill valve is simply clipped to it Thanks.

Micp879

Reaction score
Im dumbfounded regarding the porcelain "triangle" that is part of the tank. I have never heard of it, and I can't seem to picture it. As far as the "cannister" type flush valve, the only thing I can think of remotely close to that would be a Mansfield type flush tower.

BB2nite

Reaction score
Unusual flush valve

I have photo(s), but can't for the life of me figure how to attach them to my post. Keeps telling me "exceeds the limit of kbs for the forum". It's a simple photo, and I actually wanted to post several. Anyone help? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For display here, you don't need huge resolution, and it takes up lots of storage space. If your photo program can't change the resolution to something like 600x400 pixels, then the freeware app ifanview can. At that size, it should upload.

BB2nite

Reaction score
Unusual flush valve

Maybe...just maybe...a photo of the mechanism will be attached to this. Can anyone further enlighten me as to how I would go about replacing it with a "tilt Roma' valve? I mention again that this is a one-piece toilet (no under the tank access). Thanks.

Attachments

• PDRM1626.JPG
    PDRM1626.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 416

BB2nite

Reaction score
Unusual flush valve

Attaching that photo worked so well that I am posting a photo of the toilet itself, for whatever assistance that may be to anyone kind enough to help me on this. Perhaps someone can identify it by brand. (Or maybe that's unnecessary if I can get info as to installing an entirely different valve).
Thanks to everyone for help.

Attachments

• PDRM1628.JPG
    PDRM1628.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 399

Achutch

Reaction score
What you may have is a Kohler Placid

Bill,

That was good that you posted a photo of the toilet as well as its unusual flush valve inside the tank.

The toilet looks very Kohler to me, from the flush lever and more importantly, the shape of the bowl and its base.

I believe that you may have a Kohler Placid, Model K-3405. There is a web site that shows the Placid, its unique flush valve, and from where you can order parts.

I am not sure if it violates the protocol of this forum to post the link to that site here (Terry or any Moderator, can you elaborate on this?). But if you write to me privately, that is to " achutch ", I'll send it to you.

Matt (achutch) in Vermont

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I went on their web site and couldn't find a parts breakdown for a link, but i do have a parts breakdown in my book.
The Flush valve assembly is part #30679 if you just want the lift tube assembly it's part #30451.

If you want i can fax a breakdown to you just send me a e-mail.

http://www.designtool.kohler.com/us/detail.jsp?item=9550602#technical

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Generally there is not a problem to post a link to a website as you are suggesting, even if it is a commercial site. The filtering software does block links to the famous auction site, some box store sites, etc. This is really a matter of spam protection.

If in doubt, you could PM to Terry or one of the moderators, and if the homeowner PM's you, that will work, also.

Frankly, I am dying of curiosity, because I have not seen that flush valve before either!

BB2nite

Reaction score
Unusual flush valve

Here hopefully is a copy of what looks like the valve, taken from the BrassCraft online catalog. I say "hopefully", as reducing the pixels to an acceptable level was not easy to do...and the resulting copy is very small.
But, the one in the toilet looks like this...may not BE it, but looks like it.
However, my curiosity is now aroused about doing away with it and going with one of the valves you guys mention...either an American Std. tilt type, or the Roma mentioned. Peanut, when you get a chance if you'll forward that address I will look it up. Have no idea as to how difficult it will be to remove the mounting screws for the old one, and always a danger of damaging the tank...but something's got to be done....the thing flushes by itself about every two hours. Is there a safe way to remove the screws...like maybe soak in WD-40?

I'm sorry I did not angle the photo properly so that it includes the angled fill/overflow section of the tank, just as a matter of interest. It is in the corner, immediately behind and slightly to the left of the flush handle, very small....stands out about an inch or so from the corner. It is porcelain, molded be the factory and is an integral part of the tank itself. Operates just like a normal tube, and I'm sure it is formed so as to lead directly into the bowl.

Thank you all so much for all your help and interest. Anybody got any further thoughts, I will appreciate hearing them.

Bill Branner

Attachments

• toilet.psd
    18.5 KB · Views: 272

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I don't have a web site except the one i posted and it doesn't have a parts breakdown that i could find.
I have a book here that i could fax over the page to you, if you want to e-mail me your fax number.

BB2nite

Reaction score
Unusual flush valve

Well, it does appear the tiolet is a Kohler...probably the K-3405 or some very similar model. And it does appear that the flush valve is th one pictured for that toilet. But, its price is an unbelievable $250.70....pricing my 86-year-old relative out of it. I checked with Fluidmaster to see whether they have any device which would work on a one-piece toilet, and so far have had no response from them. Certainly their website shows nothing which would help.
I'm down to replacing the whole toilet if I can't find an alternative.... hate to do that, as she has three of the things and the other two, although seemingly okay now could develop problems as well. Anyone know of something which would help us on this cursed problem? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks