Battery Powered Motion Lights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Are there battery powered motion lights that have good light output? I've googled them but most are LED lights do they get the lumen output of othere lights?

Thanks for any replies!

Molo

Reaction score
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q="motion+detector"+battery&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

The motion detector pulls hardly any current; it's the lamps that need the power.

You want to use rechargeable batteries? Lead acids? Please supply the details of the desired operation.

A 60 Ah, 12v car battery could power two 100w floodlights for over an hour.

Well......... I wasn't thinking 12volt car batteries. If that's what it would take to get 2 100w lights going maybe I won't be able to do this with a battery operated unit. Regarding battery type, I don't have a preference.

Thanks,

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
200 watts at 12 volts is approx. 16 amps. So you would need a battery with a 16 amp/hour rating. That won't be the size of a car battery, but it will be the size of a small loaf of bread!

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
60 x 12 = 720 w-h, divided by 200 = 3.6 hrs of operation. My bad.

16 x 12 = 192 w-h, divided by 200 = ~1 hr of operation.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Batteries are what is called DC or direct current.

House wiring is AC or alternating current.

And motion light sensors sold in stores are designed to be run off AC.

You can get an "inverter" which converts DC to house voltage AC.

And then you can keep the batteries charged with a solar panel if this is for a situation where there is no electric power.

And solar electric panel dealers can design a combination solar panel / inverter system which will give you plenty of power for your lights no matter how bright you want them.

The only thing is cost. Solar can be quite expensive, but if there is no power in the area (like out in the woods), it might be less expensive than paying the electric company $40,000.00 to run their lines out there.

But if it is for a shed in your back yard, then having an electrician run a line out there would probably be less expensive than buying a solar setup.

So what specifically do you need this for? How close is the nearest power?

P.S. There is DC lighting like for boats/marine applications. I don't know if you would find any "ready to go" light/motion sensor fixtures though? But also security systems use DC powered motion sensors which could work. But these tend to be expensive. And need quite a bit of electrical knowledge to set up a custom system like that. You could hire someone, but then again there is an added cost.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If you can get a motion detector powered by 12 vdc [or less] from the Web you can use 12vdc incand. bulbs, also from the web. You wire the motion detector relay contacts in series with the 12v lamps.

How practical this is will be determined by how many hours off and how many hours on.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks