Bathtub / Toilet Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Just about to start a basement renovation and want to rework the existing 40s bathroom. Currently, there is just a lav and a toilet - but I'm planning on adding a bathtub.
The lav is vented and that vent ties into the main stack up top - they are about 3 feet apart. The toilet will move from where it currently is to the other side of the room. The new bathtub will be roughly where the toilet is now.

Here's my question. Does the bathtub need it's own vent or can it be roughed in like the attached sketch? I seem to remember that a bathtub could be wet vented if it ties in above the toilet...but wanted to double check

Before and proposed after sketches attached as well as a picture of the actual basement.

Basement Plumbing-01.png
Basement-Plumbing-03.jpg
Basement Plumbing-02.png

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am going to assume that this main stack is a drain for fixtures on the floor(s) above. If this is the case, the only way it can be used to vent a basement fixture would be to tie the vent in at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest connected fixture, or 42" above that floor's level, whichever is the greater. It is often more feasible to run a new vent stack, either through the roof, or tied into the existing stack in the attic.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The lav is not venting the tub.
You can "wye" off the main with 2" for the lav, and then wye off of that for the tub.
The tub can't come of the main line without being vented first.

The vent for the lav can't tie back into a "waste" stack.

Philwgreen

Reaction score
The lav is not venting the tub.
You can "wye" off the main with 2" for the lav, and then wye off of that for the tub.
The tub can't come of the main line without being vented first.

The vent for the lav can't tie back into a "waste" stack.

Thanks - that makes sense. Terry, would the attached image work for layout - to wye off the lav?

Basement-Plumbing-04.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks