Bathtub three faucet stem removal

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by MIHillbilly, Jul 5, 2013.

1. MIHillbilly

MIHillbilly New Member

I have been trying to remove this stem for some time. I do not see any large hex that I can grab onto. I have tried pulling to no avail. In the attached photos, the packing nut is removed, the outer ring goes all the way back to the bronze fixture, I just can't show that on a photo. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

That is a Sayco faucet. It looks like the chrome sleeve has broken and part of it still remains over the hex nut that holds the stem in place. That sleeve must be removed before you can get any kind of wrench over the hex nut.

John
  3. MIHillbilly

MIHillbilly New Member

John, you may be right. On all three the chrome escutcheon is fused to a chrome sleeve. It took a lot of counter clockwise torque to break the sleeve loose. All three slipped out and left similar view of a hex back in a sleeve. I assumed it was crud that had the chrome sleeve stuck to the galvanized sleeve. All three chrome sleeves look fine, I don't see evidence of a break. Any suggestion on how to get the heavy sleeve free. I don't see any way to get a tool back there.

Thanks,

Scott
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Prime candidate for a remodel plate and a new valve! Probably spend less time mucking around, and it would then be up to date on the anti-scald requirements. The remodel plates are designed to fit over the new hole you have to make to remove the old valve, then the new one fits on top of that plate as if it were the wall.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can see if a needle nose pliers will pull the sleeves out.
    They you can use a deep socket on it.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can see if a needle nose pliers will pull the sleeves out.
    They you can use a deep socket on it.

Or this:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  7. MIHillbilly

MIHillbilly New Member

I did manage to get two locking needle nose pliers locked on. I PB Blasted, pulled, twisted, lightly tapped and said some words that my mom would not like to hear coming out of my mouth. None of that worked. I'm not surprised considering the amount of torque required to break lose the outer sleeves. I buttoned it back up and will live with it another week with some dripping. My mother-in-law will visit all next week and let me know numerous times that it is leaking, so I will not forget about it. When she is gone, I will commence to tearing it out and replacing with a single faucet.