bathtub spraying help!

Users who are viewing this thread

JPBBlue

Reaction score
My once 1 1/2 bath little house is now a 1/2 1/2 bath little house . . . I have a 1970's tri-level in Naperville IL. The one lever shower handle (pull up for on, turn L or R for temp) has snapped off. The quick fix at the time was a vice grip . . . now the brass node like thingy is all mashed out of shape and finaly gave up . . . water started blasting out of the middle of the node (where the screw once went) I managed to slow the flow to constant streaming leak . . . I have had plumbers over the phone tell me that they have to tear the wall apart, replace the sheet rock . . . I'll need new tub wall enclosures . . . etc . . . any suggestions? I know the make is price pfister.

Thanks for any advice!!

Peter

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

If the handle "thingy" fastens to the valve in the wall with four bolts, then it is a Price Pfister Flow-Matic valve and that piece is easily replaced. Just make sure the new one has the cork gasket with it.

JPBBlue

Reaction score
wow fast help!

I just took off the plate (two screws) to see what was inside. It has four screws holding the (valve?) in place - positions are Noon/three/six & nine o'clock . . . sound right? I hope this plays out better than the Cubs :)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the flow-matic. If this is it, they are readily availavle ( pricey at around $50 ). Turn off the main water supply, then diassemble carefully and note the position of the little plastic piece inside. Reassemble.

http://********.crossmediaservices....isplayPageNumber=744&&&PromotionPageID=348360

sorry, they dont allow links to other websites. If I can figure out how to post the picture here, I will. Not real tekkie-capable!
Anyway, you could google for flow-matic and find a picture.

JPBBlue

Reaction score
Thanks For All The Help!

will the Home Depot guys know about the cork? or do I need to find a price pfister dealer? Sorry about all the questions, this is all new to me . . . thanks again!
Peter

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The cartridge should come with the cork, even if it is from a generic brand. This is one part I really recommend finding the PP genuine.

In San Diego, only one HD store stocks this item. Other stores here which have it are Dixieline and Ace. You could check local stores, but might have to go to a plumbing supply.

JPBBlue

Reaction score
price pfister web site

been trying to find the flow-matic valve on line somewhere, my local Home Depot doesn't carry this type of item . . . the plumbing guy at the store suggested I call PP and they might send me the valve @ no charge, is this common? I did find one link to a web site that had an exploded view of the flow-matic, however the parts I believe I need are no longer available there.

The valve I saw online looked to be about the size of a fist, and appears to be connected to the water source . . . so when I get the valve, will I only need to replace the part that has the four screws (take the four screws out of the new valve and attach only that part to what is already connected to my pipes?) :confused:

Again, I appreciate the help . . . I'm sure glad we have a pool for the kids

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks