Bathtub Spout Leaking?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by hartlbb, Feb 18, 2008.

1. hartlbb

hartlbb New Member

I just installed a bathtub spout with a stopper (to send water to the shower spout) last night. I turned on the water and the tub spout worked great. I then pulled the stopper on the end of it up, and water came out of the shower head just wonderfully. I then looked back at the bathtub spout and noticed that water is coming out of the drain hole at the back of the spout. I was wondering, is this normal? I don't have a leak that I can see in my pipe.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Nope, coming out the back of the spout is not good, it is likely some is spraying back inside the wall.

Is this a screw on or press on spout? If it screws on, you didn't get enough teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads, or you didn't tighten it enough. If it is a press-on spout, you've probably damaged one or both of the o-rings. That is easy to do if you have a burr on the end of the pipe.

If it is screw on, you might need to add another layer(s) or wrap of the tape so that it will tighten up where you want it to and make a good seal.

You need to remove it and figure out what's going on.
  3. hartlbb

hartlbb New Member

It's a screw on. I will go ahead and retape it. Admitidelly I did not put a ton of tape on there in the first place.
  4. hartlbb

hartlbb New Member

It worked! Thanks! :)