Bathtub Spigot Pipe Rusted to the Elbow

Users who are viewing this thread

NewbieHandyman

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have a bathtub spigot pipe that broke in my hands as I tried to replace a leaky bathtub spout. The pipe has been rusted all the way to the elbow which is inside the wall. I went into the access panel and saw that the from the elbow the pipe goes up to what looks like a copper 4 way fitting branching to a shower and the hot and cold pipes. I was wondering what I should do in order to get this out. I tried using an ez out and an internal pipe wrench but have hand no success. The next step I was thinking was cut the pipe that attaches to the elbow with a reciprocating saw, pull the rusted pipe out of the backside and unscrew the top half of the pipe. I was also thinking of replacing this all the way to the 4 way junction with copper.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
I have attached pictures of the nasty task.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
Old, rusted, galvanized connections are often difficult to take apart, even in a vise. Just cut the pipe as you described and replace it back to the valve. I wouldn't bother fabricating a new one in copper. Look how long the old connection lasted. That's just extra work. (Not a pro)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks