Bathtub/Shower plumbing question...

Users who are viewing this thread

IAmLulu

Reaction score
Several years ago, my DH removed our Tub/Shower and replaced it with a shower. In doing so, he placed a pressure balance valve at the normal shower height. We have now decided to replace said shower with a Tub/Shower once again. My question is; can we leave the pressure balance valve at the "shower height", or is there a reason we would "have to" move it down by the spout. Since the tub/shower will be used most often as a shower, thought it would be handier, having the pressure balance control at the higher position.
TIA

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
It will look to high with a tub installed in place. If you have the plumber coming back for the tub why not lower it down. That's like a 10 minute job!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My guess is that you don't know how to deal with the hole in the wall at shower valve height? If he installed a pressure balance valve for a shower only, it is going to need to be replaced with a tub/shower valve because there will be no outlet for a tub spout.

The only real issue with the valve being too high is that the user will have to get up to operate the valve. I would consider it a pretty big inconvenience if I was soaking in the tub.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It would certainly be more convenient if it was reachable while in the tub, but it may not be that big an issue if you're the type that fills the tub before you get in, and never sit there long enough to want to add some more hot. Most people with a tub/shower, only use it as a tub rarely. I must admit, I'm in the minority, and to help my back, I do soak in mine regularly, so lower would be much more functional. With the wall open, it makes sense to move it. Personally, I could live with it either way.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some may shower standing in the tub, and others may have help in filling, such as for children.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the time, it's going to be for showering. I've seen all kinds of things done with showers and tubs.
It won't harm a thing leaving it where it is.

That's like a 10 minute job!

Anytime somebody calls me up to say something like, "I have a leak in the crawlspace, it's only a 10 minute job." I refer them to someone else.
If I'm taking a couple hours of my day to get paid for ten minutes, I would rather service the "paying" customers that value my time. I do freebies for family, but that's about it.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Apropos joke about "10 minute job":

A brain surgeon had a bad leak and a flood on a Sunday, he called a few plumbers but only one agreed to come over. This plumber came and fixed the leak in ten minutes. He handed the surgeon a bill.
Surgeon: Holly Macro, $500 for a ten minute job? I'm a surgeon and I don't get that much...
Plumber: I used to be a brain surgeon, that why I'm a plumber now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks