Bathtub/shower enclosure product choices

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
I need to replace a fiberglass bathtub & shower enclosure that had developed a hole. I see a range of products at HD & Lowe's and am not sure what would be suitable product to install in a small rental property. Will appreciate recommendations of preferred brand/material and what to look for or avoid. Thank you.

urdrwho

Reaction score
I need to replace a fiberglass bathtub & shower enclosure that had developed a hole. I see a range of products at HD & Lowe's and am not sure what would be suitable product to install in a small rental property. Will appreciate recommendations of preferred brand/material and what to look for or avoid. Thank you.

Too many time renters don't care about water getting out of the shower onto the floor and as a homeowner I've tried my best with my new enclosure to not get water. I can say what I personally would not get ---

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....losure-leaking-on-floor-shower-curtain.68707/

Stuff

Reaction score
Whatever you buy make sure to put a mortar base under the tub. Replaced a 2 year old Sterling after it flexed, cracked, and started leaking.

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
Whatever you buy make sure to put a mortar base under the tub. Replaced a 2 year old Sterling after it flexed, cracked, and started leaking.
Thank you for pointing out the need to have a firm base under the tub. Will appreciate recommendation about 'whatever to buy'. HD people are unable to explain the difference between the $448 and $532 tub/surround packages.

Stuff

Reaction score
Some of the HD/Lowes have a surround display with hinges that is set up like doors. You can see that some of the differences are style but others are thickness of the surround. A three piece has less seams to caulk than a 5 piece. Built in soap dishes, shelves, and hand/towel bars are nice but are usually the first place to break. Also some surrounds only work with matching tubs and vice-versa. There is also a variety of heights and depths. Do you have room for a 32" wide tub? How high do you want the surround? Some surrounds get glued over existing wallboard while others attach to studs and have flanges than needs covered by drywall.

Also noticed that the old Sterling surround does not fit a three handle faucet properly due to the curve in the side panel.

There is no single answer. What are your goals with this rental? How extensive a remodel? Are you going down to the studs? How is the old tub and surround installed? Ideally I would think a cast iron tub with a solid surface surround going to the ceiling would be the most durable.

If hiring someone to do this install you should ask them for their experience with surrounds.

bugman

Reaction score
Really? Only one person mentions what NOT to use and another suggests we put thought into our choosings. To the moon with your non mentioning of choices! But I'd still like to hear some choices. Please :D.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks