bathtub/shower diverter leaking!

Users who are viewing this thread

goalie3443

Reaction score
howdy I am new here! I was having 2 drum traps removed and replaced them with 2 new pvc p-traps yesterday. This is in my apartment building and while preparing to fix the drywall in the ceiling I started feeling drips of water hitting me in the head. After checking out the problem I have found that the unit directly overhead has a leak coming from behind the wall of the shower. Can see that it is definately coming from the diverter connection to the copper pipe, specifically the cold water inlet on the bottom of the connection for the cold water on/off handle. So i am wondering if I am gonna have to go in through the tile and drywall to fix the leak and dont know what to do! Any ideas? thanks alot-Jeff
ps- I cant get to the problem from underneath, do I need a new diverter or maybe pipe too or just fix the leak? Not familiar with plumbing so much. I think i could sauder it but i dont want this to explode and am not even sure if this type of connection is saudered in the first place thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Often, the stub for the tub spout/divertor is screwed in. It might be as simple as unscrewing it, putting on some pipe dope and/or teflon and screwing it back in. If that pipe is galvanized, replace it with brass since it could be that the steel pipe is rusting out.

It could be soldered in. You may need to cut a hole in the wall behind it to check it out. If you can access it that way, you won't need to tear up and replace the tile.

Keep in mind that the water can travel a distance before it finally drips down, so where you see it may not be where it is actually leaking.

I'm sure I missed some possibilities, too...

goalie3443

Reaction score
oops!

So i was taking the escutcheons and the stems out and went too far and they came out while the water was still on! got them back on but dont know to do!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this a tub/shower? or a shower?

Does it leak all of the time or only while someone is taking a shower?

Is the plumbing galvanized steel, copper, or something else?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks