Bathtub Recommendations For Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Monica Essick

Reaction score
Hi Everyone;

My husband and I have been remodeling our home in recent years. We just finished our kitchen and powder room, and we are now moving on to the second floor bathroom.

We are replacing a steel tub that measures 60x30x14 mainly because it is 1970's powder blue and I want a more classic look. All of the fixtures will be white with Carrera marble tile, and a stone vanity top.

Can anyone offer advice on replacing our bathtub? Initially, I wanted a cast iron tub because of their durability and solid sound/feel, but am finding the cost to be prohibitive. I don't want to settle for a cheap acrylic tub that creaks and groans when you stand in it to shower, and will eventually crack and stain.
Optimally, I am searching for a 60 x 30 alcove soaker tub in white that is deep and quiet with a solid feel when used. I would also like a tub that has ample space in the basin. Many of the models I've checked are considerably smaller at the bottom of the tub than at the rim. Being that my bottom is NOT considerably smaller than my top, I don't think they would be a good "fit" for me. :)

I'd appreciate any and all feedback. I am in the information gathering/money stashing stage of this renovation, so I have a bit of time before I will be making a purchase.

Thank you, in advance, everyone. I appreciate your feedback.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the Kohler Archer tub. 60" x 32" x 19"
It's acrylic, but fairly sturdy.
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Archer-...thing/425547.htm?skuId=394494&brandId=1159437

I don't see the interior dimensions though on the specs. You would want to check that first.

wood_609.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF during your remodel, you can make space for a longer/wider tub, and you like to soak, you'll find that much more comfortable! I ended up with a 36x66" one, and really would have liked one 72" long, or longer, but couldn't quite make it fit without moving a load-bearing wall (not for the feint of heart!).

The magic on a tub like these is to embed it into piles of mortar that then act like numerous feet. It also helps immensely to get it to sit perfectly level. If you do it that way, the tub won't creak, flex, or crack prematurely. A plastic tub, sitting on say four (or even more) small feet, can flex between them, and makes getting it to sit perfectly flat with all feet in contact with the subflooring really tough to impossible.

TeXan

Reaction score
Hey
You can't go wrong with a Kohler cast iron. They are the best but hard to install because they are such good quality. Mine weighed over 300 lbs but the glass coating is in some places 1/4 inch thick (they call it porcelain however it is melted glass)

lanachurner

Reaction score
Another recommendation for the Kohler cast iron tub.
They are really good tubs and will last for years and years.
I have remodeled a lot of bathrooms and it always grieves me to have to put nice tile around a plastic tub. Because I know that in just a few years the finish will be dull or they will crack somewhere.
A Kohler will keep it's original luster and good looks for 40 years. No other tub compares to that.

GatorKenD

Reaction score
I just pitched a Kohler Villager on another thread and I'll do it here, too. At 320# my wife and I were able to wheel it into the bathroom on a furniture dolly. After that, I was able to install it on my own. It's only 14" tall and I was a little concerned that it would feel small, but it really looks nicely proportioned to my eye. It's in the kids bath and it's going to be used 99% for showers so I didn't agonize over whether it would be a good soaker, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the inside volume of this tub (for a point of reference, I'm 5'8", 165#). If I took a lot of baths and was willing spend more, I'd probably appreciate a bigger tub, but at about $350 from the big box stores and cast iron, it's a hell of a value.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Do not get the Kohler Villager. It is not a deep soaker and it does not have ample space (33 gallon). It's OK for kids or in a hotel. If you want Kohler cast iron it sounds like the Mendota would meet your needs (45 gallon). Americast tubs are easier to install than cast iron, feel good and solid underfoot when set in a mortar bed, and retain heat. I like cast iron.

Erico

Reaction score
Hi Everyone;

My husband and I have been remodeling our home in recent years. We just finished our kitchen and powder room, and we are now moving on to the second floor bathroom.

We are replacing a steel tub that measures 60x30x14 mainly because it is 1970's powder blue and I want a more classic look. All of the fixtures will be white with Carrera marble tile, and a stone vanity top.

Can anyone offer advice on replacing our bathtub? Initially, I wanted a cast iron tub because of their durability and solid sound/feel, but am finding the cost to be prohibitive. I don't want to settle for a cheap acrylic tub that creaks and groans when you stand in it to shower, and will eventually crack and stain.
Optimally, I am searching for a 60 x 30 alcove soaker tub in white that is deep and quiet with a solid feel when used. I would also like a tub that has ample space in the basin. Many of the models I've checked are considerably smaller at the bottom of the tub than at the rim. Being that my bottom is NOT considerably smaller than my top, I don't think they would be a good "fit" for me. :)

I'd appreciate any and all feedback. I am in the information gathering/money stashing stage of this renovation, so I have a bit of time before I will be making a purchase.

Thank you, in advance, everyone. I appreciate your feedback.

I concur with Terry on the Kohler Archer. I put one in for a neighbor 7 years ago and it still looks great.

The Carrera marble we installed (against my recommendation ) , not so much. It's a real bear to keep clean and she wants to rip it out. Some other friends who are neat freaks have the same problem - it looks dirty.

I just installed a Duravit acrylic tub for a friend and I was really impressed with the quality and ease of installation . It had adjustable legs. The tiling flange threw me off becaus the acrylic was so thick. I just had to shim the wall out more than I figured for. But it went in like a dream.

I have a jetted Kohler Memoires cast iron tub in my own house. Really nice tub but I have to scrunch down to stay under the water because the tub isn't very deep (learned a lesson with that one). I had to pay movers to carry it up three flights of stairs. Me and my three hung over pals got it wedged on the first turn - it was quite a show. Luckily there were movers working two doors down. Best $100 bucks I ever spent.

Pic of the Duravit attached.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks