Bathtub overflow plate gasket. Is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by minus08, Jan 24, 2012.

1. minus08

minus08 New Member

Was looking at one of my bathtub overflow plates.

I took the cover off --in the last photo---to expose the overflow tube.
    Isnt the gray gasket(shown by red arrow) suppose to be like equal distance around the hole in the tub.
    And shouldn't part of the gasket be on the outside(tub surface) of the hole?
    The gasket is still soft its not brittle or anything.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      58.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      60.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:
    • 100_7880.jpg
      100_7880.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Yes, it's supposed to be centered.

However, if it is sealing betweent the tub and the overflow, it's doing it's job.

The gap in the trim is to allow excess water to go down the overflow.
  3. minus08

minus08 New Member

Thanks for the info. There is a tight seal even though it is not centered. After just cleaning some of the tub crud I'll leave it be.

Glad to see the big bossman gets involved in minor issues.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

most overflow fittings are not large enough to be that far off center and still seal around the edges.
  5. minus08

minus08 New Member

Is the only thing hold the gasket against the tub the pressure from the overflow tube ?

I tried slightly to push the overflow tube back to relieve the compression against the gasket so I can try to align gasket better. But the overflow tube did not move(at least with the minimal push I put on it)

I'm hesitant to push to hard so as not to disturb any drain fittings.

Can someone tell me how they would go about aligning it?
    And are these gaskets kind of a one-fit-all or are they made specific to the overflow tupe assembly?

THANKS
  6. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

There are different gaskets for different overflows however there is a "most" commonly used one. Its a wedge shape to follow the contour of the bathtub. The overflow should have came with a bracket that pulls the assembly tight to the tub seperate from the cover plate.
  7. minus08

minus08 New Member

I didnt buy a new gasket. But if it comes with a "bracket" like you say how in the world would the bracket attach. As you can see from the photos, there are no other screws in the tub that would hold a bracket on the backside of the overflow tube
  8. Hackney plumbing

Yeah I didn't see any screw holes for a bracket.......yours must have not came with one. IMO it should have......I wouldn't have used it. You probably have a sch 40 pvc waste and overflow with solvent welded connections. If you have access to the rear of the tub you can use a heat gun and slowly heat up the pvc and gently push it where you want it......then take a damp cloth while holding the drain in place and cool it off so it will stay in place. I would use silicone to secure the gasket to the pipe and the tub.

If you have access to the rear.......take some more pics.
  9. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The gasket goes on the back side of the tub wall...as it is. No part of the gasket goes on the inside surface of the tub.
  10. minus08

minus08 New Member

There is an access panel in a closet. I'll do that tomorrow.
  11. minus08

minus08 New Member

Has anyone ever used these. Called the ultimate overflow gasket:

Instructions say: Insert Ultimate Overflow Gasket on the outside of the tub and place the new retaining ring over the gasket.

Attached Files:

12. hj

Very few overflow drains come with the "retaining" bracket and most, if not all, of them are made of brass. That "ultimate overflow gasket" might work with a two bolt overflow, but not with one with a single bolt through the middle. It would distort the "funnel".
  13. minus08

minus08 New Member

I took access panel off in a closet to check the backside of the gasket. Looks to be a good seal.

Also why the hell do people(a plumber???) have to use the tub cavity for a garbage dump??

Attached Files:

14. hj

WE don't but everyone else on the job does. They do the same thing with our outdoor sewer trenches. IF we have to go back and dig the trench we find concrete blocks, wood, bottles, cans and anything else they did not want to throw in the dumpster.
  15. Hackney plumbing

Looks like the paper they use to bond two pieces of drywall together. The drywall hanger rips this paper to seperate the two sheets.