Bathtub overflow plate gasket. Is this a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

minus08

Reaction score
Was looking at one of my bathtub overflow plates.

I took the cover off --in the last photo---to expose the overflow tube.
Isnt the gray gasket(shown by red arrow) suppose to be like equal distance around the hole in the tub.
And shouldn't part of the gasket be on the outside(tub surface) of the hole?
The gasket is still soft its not brittle or anything.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 9,326
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 4,282
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 4,168
  • 100_7880.jpg
    100_7880.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 6,097

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, it's supposed to be centered.

However, if it is sealing betweent the tub and the overflow, it's doing it's job.

The gap in the trim is to allow excess water to go down the overflow.

minus08

Reaction score
However, if it is sealing betweent the tub and the overflow, it's doing it's job.

Thanks for the info. There is a tight seal even though it is not centered. After just cleaning some of the tub crud I'll leave it be.

Glad to see the big bossman gets involved in minor issues.

minus08

Reaction score
Is the only thing hold the gasket against the tub the pressure from the overflow tube ?

I tried slightly to push the overflow tube back to relieve the compression against the gasket so I can try to align gasket better. But the overflow tube did not move(at least with the minimal push I put on it)

I'm hesitant to push to hard so as not to disturb any drain fittings.

Can someone tell me how they would go about aligning it?
And are these gaskets kind of a one-fit-all or are they made specific to the overflow tupe assembly?

THANKS

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Is the only thing hold the gasket against the tub the pressure from the overflow tube ?

I tried slightly to push the overflow tube back to relieve the compression against the gasket so I can try to align gasket better. But the overflow tube did not move(at least with the minimal push I put on it)

I'm hesitant to push to hard so as not to disturb any drain fittings.

Can someone tell me how they would go about aligning it?
And are these gaskets kind of a one-fit-all or are they made specific to the overflow tupe assembly?

THANKS

There are different gaskets for different overflows however there is a "most" commonly used one. Its a wedge shape to follow the contour of the bathtub. The overflow should have came with a bracket that pulls the assembly tight to the tub seperate from the cover plate.

minus08

Reaction score
I didnt buy a new gasket. But if it comes with a "bracket" like you say how in the world would the bracket attach. As you can see from the photos, there are no other screws in the tub that would hold a bracket on the backside of the overflow tube

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I didnt buy a new gasket. But if it comes with a "bracket" like you say how in the world would the bracket attach. As you can see from the photos, there are no other screws in the tub that would hold a bracket on the backside of the overflow tube

Yeah I didn't see any screw holes for a bracket.......yours must have not came with one. IMO it should have......I wouldn't have used it. You probably have a sch 40 pvc waste and overflow with solvent welded connections. If you have access to the rear of the tub you can use a heat gun and slowly heat up the pvc and gently push it where you want it......then take a damp cloth while holding the drain in place and cool it off so it will stay in place. I would use silicone to secure the gasket to the pipe and the tub.

If you have access to the rear.......take some more pics.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The gasket goes on the back side of the tub wall...as it is. No part of the gasket goes on the inside surface of the tub.

minus08

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used these. Called the ultimate overflow gasket:

Instructions say: Insert Ultimate Overflow Gasket on the outside of the tub and place the new retaining ring over the gasket.

Attachments

• ultimate-gasket.jpg
    ultimate-gasket.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 7,763

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Very few overflow drains come with the "retaining" bracket and most, if not all, of them are made of brass. That "ultimate overflow gasket" might work with a two bolt overflow, but not with one with a single bolt through the middle. It would distort the "funnel".

minus08

Reaction score
I took access panel off in a closet to check the backside of the gasket. Looks to be a good seal.

Also why the hell do people(a plumber???) have to use the tub cavity for a garbage dump??

Attachments

• 100_7887.jpg
    100_7887.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3,388
  • 100_7916.jpg
    100_7916.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 3,536
  • 100_7892.jpg
    100_7892.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3,454
  • 100_7905.jpg
    100_7905.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 3,428
  • 100_7913.jpg
    100_7913.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 3,353

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE don't but everyone else on the job does. They do the same thing with our outdoor sewer trenches. IF we have to go back and dig the trench we find concrete blocks, wood, bottles, cans and anything else they did not want to throw in the dumpster.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Looks like the paper they use to bond two pieces of drywall together. The drywall hanger rips this paper to seperate the two sheets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks