Bathtub overflow linkage stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

KatieNH

Reaction score
please excuse any imprecise terminology...I'm a homeowner trying to repair this problem.
I have a Gerber tub overflow linkage stuck in the closed position in the overflow drain. The tub will not drain...so I removed the water. I have removed the face plate from the brass arm and tried pulling straight up, but can't get it out. I have wd-40d down the pipe. The overflow pipe is plastic. The linkage arm is brass. What else can I do?

Attachments

• 14898561903731450654939.jpg
    14898561903731450654939.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 276

Reach4

Reaction score
I would use a small ViceGrip such as the Long Nose Locking Pliers to grab the wire, rather than sticking a screwdriver into the loop. I would pry up, putting something under the pliers to fulcrum against if needed.

Once this is out, you may want to leave it out. Get a rubber stopper if you need one.

I am not a plumber.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
cacher is probably on the right track. I would start working the other end, down at the drain. Take a Phillips screwdriver and remove the little grate on the drain and begin your voyage of discovery down there. Snatch out any hair clogs, etc., the go to work with the WD-40. Go back up to the top and get a suitable pair of pliers and try rotating the brass rod one way then the other until it gets loose. No one knows what the point of no return is on a particular problem, but go about it gingerly at first and maybe it'll break loose. Good luck, Katie.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks