Bathtub located at load-bearing wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

nowherebound

Reaction score
I'm gutting my master bathroom and planning to move the tub to the opposite wall. The tub currently happens to be located adjacent to a load-bearing wall, but I assume that flooring is generally designed to be able to handle the load of a tub and that there is no problem from a weight or structural perspective if I move it anywhere in the room.

If I think about it logically, the tub fully loaded with water would weigh well under 1000 pounds. So it would work out to the equivalent of having three to five 200-pound people standing in a 30"x60" area, which should be no big deal. ....or else houses would be falling around all over the place when people get together.

Am I missing something or are my assumptions correct?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

You are correct that most floors will support the tub, but your engineering calcualtions are faulty. The tub is not resting on that entire area. In most cases the ENTIRE weight of the tub is resting on the front apron and a hanger bar on the rear wall. This means if the apron is parallel to the joists there is more force on the unsupported floor surface, and if it is perpendicular to them then its weight is distributed among the joists it is resting on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks