Bathtub install on basement slab - plastic below and on top of mortar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brandon in VA

Reaction score
I am ready to install a Kohler acrylic bathtub into an alcove in the basement. I have read a lot of advice about using mortar piles to help with the leveling of the tub, which I plan to do. My main question is should I use plastic sheeting below and on top of the piles? I have read advice for using plastic under mortar when installing on top of a wood subfloor, and for using plastic on top of the piles to help ease of removal if necessary, but wasn't able to find any discussion specifically related to slab installations. I assume there would be no harm in having the plastic under and on top of the piles in my situation, but wanted a second opinion before I moved forward. In case it's relevant, the tub has 3 rails running the length of the tub about 3/4" deep that could be used as the base for an adhesive installation, but they are way off level from one another so I didn't like that as an option. Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plastic can be used, not not needed. It's an option.
So much depends on the clearance on the tub you are installing. Sometimes it make more sense to use adhesive, sometimes piles of mortar, and sometimes the tubs will work just fine with nothing. How the tub is made, how level the flooring is, it all matters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks