bathtub faucet turns on by itself

Users who are viewing this thread

Sproksch

Reaction score
Hello!
I had a stem leak on the hot water stem of my American Standard bathtub valve. So I replaced the stem (and stem seat) with a brand new one (part 9C-23H/C), but the stem leak was still there. I took the stem out and put it back in a few times trying to figure out what the problem was. But now the stem leak is the least of my problems because now I can’t get the hot water to stay off – when I close the valve and let go of the knob, the knob turns itself back on like its spring-loaded or something. I really don’t know what to do – everything on the stem looks ok, yet this thing will not stay closed. In all my screwing around could I have damaged the stem and that is what is causing this? I really appreciate any help – I’ve had to turn off the hot water to the house until I figure this out. Maybe I just need to get another new stem?

Thanks!
Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Dose this model have packing for the stem nut? If so, you might need to replace the packing, or tighten it down a bit more. Do you know what your water pressure is?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The packing is too tight so it is turning the stem back.

You want it to be just tight enough that it doesn't leak.

Sproksch

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for advice! I loosened the packing and then re-tightened until it was just past finger tight, but the stem still wouldn't stay closed. I went out and got a new stem (the old lady was getting impatient) and that seems to have worked. I'm not sure how I messed up that other stem; maybe I installed it initially with the stem in the off position which I would guess could have slightly deformed the packing as I tightened it. Oh well, problem solved for now...

thanks again!
Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks