Bathtub faucet leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Hodar

Reaction score
Good day,

I have noticed that at the base of the bathtub spout and the wall, there is a slow, constant leak.

Before I unscrew the spout, is there a preventive action I should take before doing this?

Tx, from Montreal

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is the leak only when the valve is turned on? If continuous, that is a problem in itself. Where is that water coming from. But when the valve is on, there still should not be a leak there, so you may need to remove the spout and find out why there is a leak there. Don't let this go, because water may be getting inside the wall.
\

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Think of the spout as a hose...the valve is what controls the water on/off. If you notice water leaking at the wall end of the spout, your valve is leaking. Because the water is leaking out of the middle of the "hose", the hose, or spout could also be leaking. The valve might be leaking, and it's dripping down the outside of the pipe, and you notice it at the spout end, and the spout could be fine. Two different problems.

Spouts generally come in two different types: screw-on, or push-on. A typical screw-on spout doesn't have any set screw on the bottom to hold it in place. A push-on one will. That setscrew will be burried below a slot or hole, so finding it can be a pain since you can't see it, you have to feel it. To remove a spout, it might be caulked to the wall, and that can make pulling or unscrewing it really tough. A sharp blade might be able to free it, but be careful.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In many cases the water is coming out of the end of the spout, but flows back on the underside of it until it gets to the wall and then drips off. You have a faucet problem, NOT a spout problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks