bathtub faucet leaking in the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

trytoplumb

Reaction score
I have a 1960's bathtub compression faucet with separate handles for hot and cold. I bought Sterling replacement parts and replaced the seat and washer, stem and washers on it, -everything except the bonnet. When I turn the faucet on water leaks out in the wall where the stem is screwed in. I have no clue what to do next. Please help!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If it was the 60s there is probably a packing gland as opposed to o-ring stem seal. If it's a gland there will be a six sided nut to remove from the assembly and you should add some string teflon packing. that should tighten up your leak.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you installed a new valve stem, they usually come with the packing nut loose. You may have to remove the stem to tighten it, using a wrench and a counter-wrench. The packing material should already be in there.

Arrow in photo shows packing nut.

Attachments

• Shower Valve Stem - Packing Nut.JPG
    Shower Valve Stem - Packing Nut.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,182
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks