bathtub faucet leaking in the wall

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by trytoplumb, Nov 11, 2006.

1. trytoplumb

trytoplumb New Member

I have a 1960's bathtub compression faucet with separate handles for hot and cold. I bought Sterling replacement parts and replaced the seat and washer, stem and washers on it, -everything except the bonnet. When I turn the faucet on water leaks out in the wall where the stem is screwed in. I have no clue what to do next. Please help!

2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

If it was the 60s there is probably a packing gland as opposed to o-ring stem seal. If it's a gland there will be a six sided nut to remove from the assembly and you should add some string teflon packing. that should tighten up your leak.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

If you installed a new valve stem, they usually come with the packing nut loose. You may have to remove the stem to tighten it, using a wrench and a counter-wrench. The packing material should already be in there.

Arrow in photo shows packing nut.

Attached Files: