American Standard Bathtub faucet help

Users who are viewing this thread

Myfaucetisstupid

Reaction score
I need to get the handle off my bathtub faucet so that I can change the temp control settings to something warmer than tepid. I have an Allen wrench and there is a little hole for a wrench or screwdriver on the bottom of the handle, but I can't find the frigging screw or nut. Can someone please help me get this stupid thing off? I can't find any markings indicating what brand it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Myfaucetisstupid

Reaction score
2nd attempt at pictures

Attachments

• CBE20CB3-597C-479B-BFF4-8F15AE94D4CB.jpg
    CBE20CB3-597C-479B-BFF4-8F15AE94D4CB.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_7548.JPG
    IMG_7548.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 507

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't recognize the faucet. Normally that hole there lets you remove it with the Allen wrench though. Maybe someone else has seen this.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like a Delta knock-off with the little ball and stick controller. If so, you're on the highway to nowhere if you're looking to raise the temperature settings. Doesn't have anything under the handle that will help you.

A couple of things that might be helpful to you in the future: there's a style of Allen wrench called "ball end" which allows you to more successfully insert the tool into a blind poke-and -hope situation such as yours, in that tiny hole down under the handle. The other helpful hint concerns something I noticed when I enlarged the picture of the handle which bears your reflection. You need to go put some britches on, girl.

Myfaucetisstupid

Reaction score
Looks like a Delta knock-off with the little ball and stick controller. If so, you're on the highway to nowhere if you're looking to raise the temperature settings. Doesn't have anything under the handle that will help you.

A couple of things that might be helpful to you in the future: there's a style of Allen wrench called "ball end" which allows you to more successfully insert the tool into a blind poke-and -hope situation such as yours, in that tiny hole down under the handle. The other helpful hint concerns something I noticed when I enlarged the picture of the handle which bears your reflection. You need to go put some britches on, girl.

Well that sucks, I was really hoping there would be a temp thing in there considering the water comes out so much hotter in every other faucet in the house.
So, how would I take it off to replace it if I decided to to that? I've already taken off the plate behind it and I don't remember seeing other screws or anything that I could undo to take the whole assembly off.

And thanks. I fixed the picture.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Small mirror and flashlight will help you align the hole with the head of the setscrew. That is essential. Best to check that it
is indeed an allen-socket setscrew that you're working with.Then, just having an
"allen wrench" is not good enough. It has to be the exact, correct size allen wrench to fit into the socket in the setscrew. There
are many, many different sizes. Both metric- and inch- sizes. You should have a "set" of each kind if you're going to do this
kind of mechanical disassembly work.

Although there might not be a temp adjustment per se, there could be something loose behind the handle that's letting it
turn without actually turning the valve "stem". I have a very similar shower valve in my house, and the handle keeps
getting loose every few months, and it's not the setscrew - it's something else under the handle. As I recall, last time I messed
with it, it took a long time to find the correct tool to get the handle off.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you get the handle off, (remove the set screw with the right size allen wrench, and maybe work a thin bladed flat screwdriver around the edges to pry it off), then remove the big plate and take a look-see what you've got.

You don't want to dismantle the faucet guts while the whole house is shut down unless you're confident that it can be put back right and everything working when you get through, Myfaucetiscupid.

Best case scenario would be if you have a tub faucet with integral shut-offs, allowing you to turn the house back on while the tub valve is off.

If the lack of hot water at this valve is something new it could be something from the water heater, a remodel project, or a disintegrating faucet washer had clogged up the hot side feed to the valve. You would start trying to remedy this by flushing out the valve with the cartridge removed. Try a visual inspection of the valve cavity first. Might be something you can fish out with a bent bobby pin.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
That looks like a American Standard Cadet. It might have a plastic ring you pry off and rotate to limit hot. If the water is shut off try lifting the handle up and see if you can see the set screw.

Here's what mine looks like, the red ring pays off and rotates.

shower-faucet-id-01.jpg

shower-faucet-id-02.jpg

After unscrewing the plate, and handle, the existing chrome piece should just pull off. That's how my American Standard is.

To the plumbers... Yeah, I solder a copper slip into the female pipe threads to make the valve fit for the outdoor shower.

Edit. .. I'll repost pics that work in a bit.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I think the valve cover (not talking about the plate with two screws) is obscuring the set screw so the handle needs to be lifted up which will turn water on. If you have a tub spout you can unscrew the set screw while water is running.

Check this link for temperature adjustment. Assuming this is your valve.

Myfaucetisstupid

Reaction score
Victory is mine! Temp limiter successfully adjusted! I would like to thank you all for posting your advice! Couldn't have gotten it done without your help!
The diagram was especially helpful!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks