bathtub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

deb8997

Reaction score
Hi
My husband and i just installed a new american standard tub.. he says that there is suppose to be a pitch of about1/2 inch so the water will drain and not sit in the bottom of the tub,but i thought the whole tub had to be level.. who is right?

am i going to take a bath and have water deeper in the other end?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think that the top surface should be level. If you do that, you should find that the actual inside bottom of the tub is pitched down to the drain. Depending on the tub design (fiberglass, acrylic, cast iron, etc.) it may have a base designed to sit on the level floor. If not, the best way to set it in place is to use some mortar. The mortar also helps if the floor isn't actually level (common). Most tubs are also supposed to have the edges supported by firring strips or a platform (if it is a drop-in). The tub should have come with instructions. If not, call the manufacturer.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Level

The edge of the tub should sit level regardless of the material. Jim is right about the slope being built into the tub bottom. You have probably purchased an Americast which I won't install because of chipping problems but other plumbers do. I think you should get a real cast iron tub instead of a coated enameled steel tub with a coating.

deb8997

Reaction score
bathtub pitch

so if my bathtub is not leve and the floor on that side of the drain is not level should i add morter to the plywood on the floor? and if i just left it like that would it pose any problems in the future beside no being able to take a bath which i dont to anyway?
thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, you put mortar on the floor, the squish the tub down on it so that it sets level. I'm not sure of the preferred mortar mix...there are many kinds basically the proportions of cement, sand, and maybe other addatives. Unless the tub is cast iron, setting it in mortar makes it much more stable, and will usually make it last longer. It also feels better (more solid). The kind of tub doesn't matter, if the floor is not level, setting it in mortar will work to make it level.

It may be a pain to mate up to the tub with the rest of the flooring, it just depends on how far off it is.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Shim Skirt

If it is cast iron then shim up the low end of the skirt. You should be able to use the tub as normal. I use lead to shim but others use wood. If your tub is set on the sub-floor then you will probably add another 3/4" of flooring for your finish floor which may cover the gap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks