Bathtub drain/venting issue

Users who are viewing this thread

fullfusion

Reaction score
Hey all,

Ive been a long time reader and have come by frequently for information....but Im a first time poster.

Recently completed a bathroom reno, Ive got a substantial amount of plumbing experience however have encountered a bit of a pickle her;

Top floor bathtub with a 2" abs drain and 2"trap (all glued, no access fully tiled in....DAMN!!!), its literally right beside the stack (less the 16") and is the first fixture to drain into the stack (4" abs). All other fixtures tie in below and are vented by a secondary 3" abs line.

I'm having water drainage issues in the tub when showering, the drain doesnt seem to create a siphoning effect, and water begins to build up, although it always seems to drain and never really accumulate more then 3/4" in the bottom of the tub. Its worst once suds are in the tub and impeding the water flow to the drain. Ive tried a few gallons of boiling hot water followed by bleach followed by more boiling water, and it didnt really do much.

Is it possible that there isint enough verticle drop between the tub drain and the trap? I was limited by the joist depth etc from the ceiling below.

Any help would be appreciated?
Cheers,
Paul

Reach4

Reaction score
The problem is not the vent. The vent is to prevent siphoning.

If you are using the old drain stuff, what you want to do is to unscrew the cover on the drain control. Pull the linkage out. Hope that it is gunked up by hair. Clean it and restore. If that does not do it, I suspect snaking would be next.

If the drain plumbing is all new so no hair could have built up, that is harder. Maybe suck on the drain with your wet dry vacuum to try to pull whatever fell in back out? Cover up the overflow hole or drain hole while you suck on the other. If the water flows well when the linkage is out, maybe the linkage needs adjustment.

I am not a pro.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The tub shoe/overflow assy should flow vertically into the trap. If you did not get proper pitch between the trap and drain stack, that would be a problem.

If your tilesetter used the tub drain to clean his tools, the thinset or grout will cause similar problems. It is much the same as concrete, and hardens underwater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks