Bathtub drain trip lever linkage work?

Users who are viewing this thread

GregJ7

Reaction score
I am attempting to install a bathtub drain trip lever for my mom. The tub was originally installed with a leverless face place. I bought a drain linkage kit with a hollow cylinder that presumably is supposed to block the water from draining when it covers the horizontal drain pipe opening. Through measuring, it seems that the range of lengths for the linkage should allow it to close the opening, but I've tried 8 or so various lengths and none of them even slows water from draining freely. I was suspicious of this design, because it doesn't seem to me that the cylinder should move easily (lever up/lever down) and also form a decent seal over the horizontal drain pipe. (But presumably this design wouldn't be in use if that was actually a problem.) In the positions I tried it moved easily when I toggle the trip lever.

Any ideas about what is wrong?

tub_drain_linkage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless the "tee" was designed for a trip lever, ( a leverless face plate would seldom have that design in the first place because it would not need it), AND you have the EXACT "bucket/cylinder" for it, you will never make it work.

GregJ7

Reaction score
Under the faceplate is the piping interface that I saw on the Internet for trip lever tubs. I thought that would mean the T was designed for a trip lever. That the bucket is the wrong size makes perfect sense. I got the one I did because I only saw 1 size on Amazo and at Lowe's. So much for my ability to make good assumptions.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks