Bathtub Drain Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

silverrhino

Reaction score
I am remodeling out bathroom and ran into a big problem yesterday. Our cast iron tub does not have a big enough drain hole for me to put in the 1 1/2" drain kit. We have an old cast brass tub drain lower portion which is still good. However the 1 3/" brass pipe that was threaded into it is not usable.

What do I do?? If I could find a piece of threaded 1 3/8" brass I could screw it in and then use a rubber coupling to go to the PVC....can't find that anywhere!!

Is there a way to easily make the hole in the bottom of the tub larger??? Or do I have to buy a new tub??

Please help!!

silverrhino

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I found a touch drain that had an adapter that would allow it to work in either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2. When I got it home I was excited that I had solved the problem.

Ok...... Here comes the good part! When I tried to put the drain in without the 1 1/2 bushing, it looked like it would fit, if I just cleaned up the edges of the hole in the tub. Started to do that when I suddenly realized that what I was cleaning up was not the edges of the tub hole, BUT, 50 year old plumbers putty that had hardened and made the hole look like it was much smaller than it actually was! Cleaned out the old putty and guess what, my original drain from the kit fits just fine!

I had simply mistaken the hardened putty for the actual tub material......This is soooo bad, I just had to share it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks