Bathtub Drain problem

Users who are viewing this thread

JB412

Reaction score
I have a bathtub that had a corroded drain flange that I wanted to replace. The drain piece is also missing the crosshairs. I bought a drain key from Lowes (the only one I could find) that is nothing more than a hunk of tapered metal with knurled sides and a 1/2" socket fitting on top. Anyway, I put it in the drain and attempted to turn it. It ended up braking the flange completely off. Now I have an ABS drain with metal threaded into it! I tried spraying with WD-40 and using the drain key but it doesn't grip enough to be of any use. I also tried to grab the very small top of it and twist but the metal just broke off. Any suggestions on how to remove the threaded metal stuck in the ABS?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can try filing a notch in the remaining threads, and then using a flatblade, tapping it counter-clockwise out of there.
Is this on a slab? Or do you have access somehow from below?
For that fitting to break off, that sounds really stuck in there.

JB412

Reaction score
Rather than taking a chance on screwing things up, I decided to hire a plumber to remedy this situation. He'll be coming in the morning. This bathroom is adjacent to a second bathroom which I have the walls torn out of in prep for making a tiled shower. So I believe sufficient access from the back of the tub is available to replace the tub shoe and drain if it comes to that. I'd still rather get the threaded metal piece out rather than re-do of drain, but I'll see what he says tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion Terry!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks