Bathtub drain pipe to waste pipe connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Idugapit

Reaction score
New installation of tub/shower in basement.

The drain kit for the tub that goes down to the floor has a pvc tube measurement of 1 1/2" across

The waste pipe coming up from my floor, which was installed previously, measures 2 1/2" across

What is the method and the parts needed to connect the two?

Thank you!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would be helpful if you were to mention what kind of pipe is coming up from the floor, and how are you measuring.

Standard plumbing drain/waste/vent pipe is a measurement of the inside diameter.

For a tub, you should be connecting to a p-trap which must be under the floor.

Idugapit

Reaction score
Hi Cacher,

When I'm home next I'll maybe get a picture and some more info for you.

I appreciate your willingness to help me!

Thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
accord_wild_03.jpg

The fittings for the tub drain will be 1.5", either PVC or ABS depending on the kit you buy.
Typically I like to replace the p-trap, but a lot depends on the pipe you are connecting to.
With steel, you may need a mission or fernco coupling.

Idugapit

Reaction score
DSC_3383.jpgDSC_3387.jpg
The photos show what I have going on.
Would the trap already be located in the floor? If so, is there a way to check that?

And my other issue is, if there already is a trap in the floor, what's the method for connecting the two different sized pipes?

Thanks for helping this "novice" plumber who is anxious to learn!!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I cannot tell what kind of pipe you have given that photo.

If there is a trap under the floor, it will hold water. You should be able to see if it will hold water.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I cannot tell what kind of pipe you have given that photo.

If there is a trap under the floor, it will hold water. You should be able to see if it will hold water.

Tough to see what you have.
Dump some water in the pipe, then shine a light with a mirror and see if there is standing water in the pipe. If there is, you have a trap.
Or you can dig a bit and look for it.
For that type of drain, you would need a "trap adapter" as a transition.

trap_adapter_both.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From the relative sizes of the two pipes and your previously stated dimension, I would assume you have a 2" riser in the floor. The only way to tell if you have a trap is to pour water into the pipe and then see if it stays there or drains away. If you do have a 2" pipe, then you have to reduce it to 1 1/2" so either of those trap adapters can be fitted to it to accept your tub drain pipe.

Idugapit

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh,,,, trap adapter, that's the part I've been looking for. I knew there had to be something to connect the two. Thanks for that info guys!

On regards to the trap - yeah, I'll do a little digging and make sure one exists or I'll use water, light, and mirror. Thanks for that tip!

Ok, now my next question would be - I can see that the pipe coming out of the floor will need to be cut down an inch or so to accept the trap adapter. Is there a tool that fits on a standard drill that can cut the pipe from the inside? There's no room to cut the pipe on the outside. I've seen inside pipe cutters on the 'net and am just double checking to see if that's the tool I need?

Idugapit

Reaction score
Perfect!

Thanks everyone for helping me. I think the answers I got here will close this thread and help me achieve my tasks. I'm sure I'll be back shortly scouring the forum for answers to more questions or even asking some more questions.

Thanks again!

Reach4

Reaction score
We would like to see the results... on this thread please.

Dprocket

Reaction score
Tough to see what you have.
Dump some water in the pipe, then shine a light with a mirror and see if there is standing water in the pipe. If there is, you have a trap.
Or you can dig a bit and look for it.
For that type of drain, you would need a "trap adapter" as a transition.

trap_adapter_both.jpg

Terry - I've spent 30 minutes looking for this post, as I read it a few weeks ago and my project got delayed. On the trap adapter (similar to above on the left) would you use a bead of silicone around the top hub? I have one, but I do not believe it has a compression ring, so I'm wondering about something in their to seal it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry - I've spent 30 minutes looking for this post, as I read it a few weeks ago and my project got delayed. On the trap adapter (similar to above on the left) would you use a bead of silicone around the top hub? I have one, but I do not believe it has a compression ring, so I'm wondering about something in their to seal it.

There is no need for anything else to seal a slip joint washer. I install them clean.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks