Bathtub drain installation...

Users who are viewing this thread

mjl1297

Reaction score
In a foray under my house recently (actually my first in the nine years I've lived here), I discovered that the bathtub in the guest bathroom leaks from the drain under the tub as you head towards the sanitary tee. Judging from the ground below and some of the wood surrounding the drain, this has been going on for some time but not I believe the entire time we've lived in the house. I think it started when the spud was replaced a couple of years ago but that is still quite a bit of time. Fortunately the ground seems to do a pretty good job absorbing that water.

I'm going to replace the entire overflow and drain with a new one and one question I have is whether or not you are supposed to put teflon tape, pipe dope, etc. on the threads of the spud when you screw it into the drain opening? What about the gasket that sits atop the bath drain underneath the tub? Do I need to put anything on it like a bead of silicone? I know you put a bead of silicone underneath the edge of the spud where it meets the tub but do I need to put one anywhere else? The instructions that came with the kit don't really say a lot.

Lastly, when installing a new overflow valve and bathtub drain what's the best sequence to follow to facilitate a quick and (relatively) easy installation? Many thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When installing a tub drain into the waste and overflow you must keep it clean.
Nothing on the threads. The drain threads down into the shoe below and clamps the tub using the rubber washer between the tub and the shoe for sealing. Using tape on the threads prevents it from threading down all the way. There is no reason to goo this up with Silicone. It just makes more work for the plumber that has to scrap it off.

tub-drain-leak-04.jpg

Last edited:

mjl1297

Reaction score
Terry thanks for responding. I completed the repair over the weekend. I followed your advice but I did put some plumber's putty underneath the spud. Everything appears to be fine.

mjl1297

Reaction score
I went underneath the house today just to do a followup check. Everything appears okay but I did notice some drops of water on the bottom of the pipe the spud threads into. It's been really humid down here in where we are in TN (98 but feels like 108) and I'm wondering if that could possibly be condensation?

If it isn't I honestly have no idea how to stop this leak. It's hard for me to believe that in this day and age it is this difficult to get a tub to seal properly. Based on what I'm reading across several forums I'm not alone.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry thanks for responding. I completed the repair over the weekend. I followed your advice but I did put some plumber's putty underneath the spud. Everything appears to be fine.

Well.............I tried to warn you.
If you had followed what the plumbers do, it would have been perfect. You really don't need to "improve" things by smearing putty where it doesn't belong.

mjl1297

Reaction score
The thing is I put plumber's putty in because it was leaking.

I'll keep working on it though...it's personal now.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remove the rubber flange and use plumber's putty only. Make sure you don't mess up the thread. Is it leaking now?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We use putty under the the drain flange, which then threads into the waste and overflow fitting below the tub.
Sandwiched between the tub and the shoe of the drain, that is where we place the rubber washer.
We don't put anything on the threads.
The rubber washer winds up being clamped between the tub and the plastic fitting of the drain.

watco_flex900.jpg

Part 6 is the rubber washer.

Last edited:

mjl1297

Reaction score
I have putty under the drain flange right now. There is nothing on the rubber gasket between the drain ell and the bottom of the tub. I didn't put anything on the strainer body threads either. My question is if the strainer body threads into the drain ell and water goes down the strainer into the drain ell, how does it get out past the rubber gasket in the first place unless the seal between strainer and drain ell isn't watertight and needs something on the strainer threads.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I found out years ago, that if the drain EL was crooked, I would have a leak.
After having that problem the first few times, I started assembling the drain EL on the tub before I glued the the santee and the two sections of pipe.
I would assemble both the top, and the bottom to the tub first. Then it was a simple matter of fitting pipe to fit that.
Then if needed, I would remove the drain from the tub after the glue had set and reinstall later.

If the drain EL is square to the tub, so that the rubber washer is clamped, it can't leak. I don't worry about the threads at all. I want those clean.

mjl1297

Reaction score
Actually I did assemble the drain ell to the tub first and worked out from there. Like I say it was only a few drops clinging to the underside of the drain ell. I'm going under again soon and have the wife run water above and see if I see anything. I didn't notice it leaking before and it didn't feel wet on the ground down there but those three or four drops just really bother me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks