bathtub drain down pipe issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
I am installing a bathtub.

the drain is brass. The downpipe is brass.

Two issues: 1. What do I use to connect the brass to PVC?

Can I use a 22.5 fitting as on offset on the downpipe to avoid a joist?

I really don't want to notch the joist. Actually I would use the 22 attach it to a straight pvc and then use another 22 at the opposite angle so the pvc would then go into the p-trap

l (downpipe)
l
l (22)
l
l
l (22)
l
l llllll ---------------------(drain line)
llllllllllll (p-trap)

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
The copper-to-plastic fitting is just a regular slipnut, same as any other drain/trap connection.

On the offset issue... I'll just mention that they're pretty common on sinks, so I don't see a problem. But I'm biased*, so you might want to wait for one of the plumbers to weigh in.

* What, more than anything, strikes fear in the heart of a carpenter? The sight of a plumber walking by with a sawzall in his hand.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
frenchie said:
The copper-to-plastic fitting is just a regular slipnut, same as any other drain/trap connection.

On the offset issue... I'll just mention that they're pretty common on sinks, so I don't see a problem. But I'm biased*, so you might want to wait for one of the plumbers to weigh in.

* What, more than anything, strikes fear in the heart of a carpenter? The sight of a plumber walking by with a sawzall in his hand.

I'm going to take a gander you mean an offset on the standpipe directly above the trap..if so it's ok as long as it's no greater than a 45.

Frenchie...I also have 18 volt cordless sawzalls....muahahahaha

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
thanks grump...

it should be 22.5's ... i didn't think it would be a problem...it's not like it's s..t going down the drain...sorry for the language.

this has been a challenge.... i am putting a tub where a shower was.... they had cut out a 36X36 HOLE.. and i had to re-joist it... so actually the plumbing issue is sort of minor compared to the rest of the infrastructure and wood rot.

anyway... you guys are great..... i figure before all is said and done... the plumbers , electricians, tilers, and carpenters will have saved me at least 6k... no kidding.

i feel like i should donate to a charity.. and probably will

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
lee polowczuk said:
thanks grump...

it should be 22.5's ... i didn't think it would be a problem...it's not like it's s..t going down the drain...sorry for the language.

this has been a challenge.... i am putting a tub where a shower was.... they had cut out a 36X36 HOLE.. and i had to re-joist it... so actually the plumbing issue is sort of minor compared to the rest of the infrastructure and wood rot.

anyway... you guys are great..... i figure before all is said and done... the plumbers , electricians, tilers, and carpenters will have saved me at least 6k... no kidding.

i feel like i should donate to a charity.. and probably will

I make a good living, happy to help those who can't afford it.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
frenchie said:
Wow. Maybe I'm getting jaded after too many years in NYC; but that's a really great thing you just said.

well...even though i don't make great money any longer, there are those who need much more help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks