bathtub drain down pipe issue

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by lee polowczuk, Jul 16, 2007.

1. lee polowczuk

lee polowczuk New Member

I am installing a bathtub.

the drain is brass. The downpipe is brass.

Two issues: 1. What do I use to connect the brass to PVC?

Can I use a 22.5 fitting as on offset on the downpipe to avoid a joist?

I really don't want to notch the joist. Actually I would use the 22 attach it to a straight pvc and then use another 22 at the opposite angle so the pvc would then go into the p-trap

l (downpipe)
    l
    l (22)
    l
    l
    l (22)
    l
    l llllll ---------------------(drain line)
    llllllllllll (p-trap)
  2. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

The copper-to-plastic fitting is just a regular slipnut, same as any other drain/trap connection.

On the offset issue... I'll just mention that they're pretty common on sinks, so I don't see a problem. But I'm biased*, so you might want to wait for one of the plumbers to weigh in.

* What, more than anything, strikes fear in the heart of a carpenter? The sight of a plumber walking by with a sawzall in his hand.
  3. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

I'm going to take a gander you mean an offset on the standpipe directly above the trap..if so it's ok as long as it's no greater than a 45.

Frenchie...I also have 18 volt cordless sawzalls....muahahahaha
  4. lee polowczuk

lee polowczuk New Member

thanks grump...

it should be 22.5's ... i didn't think it would be a problem...it's not like it's s..t going down the drain...sorry for the language.

this has been a challenge.... i am putting a tub where a shower was.... they had cut out a 36X36 HOLE.. and i had to re-joist it... so actually the plumbing issue is sort of minor compared to the rest of the infrastructure and wood rot.

anyway... you guys are great..... i figure before all is said and done... the plumbers , electricians, tilers, and carpenters will have saved me at least 6k... no kidding.

i feel like i should donate to a charity.. and probably will
  5. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

I make a good living, happy to help those who can't afford it.
  6. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Wow. Maybe I'm getting jaded after too many years in NYC; but that's a really great thing you just said.
  7. lee polowczuk

lee polowczuk New Member

well...even though i don't make great money any longer, there are those who need much more help.